• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD conversion to 4WD

harmgrissom

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 2WD Jeep Cherokee that is my new toy. I realize though that I'm going to need to convert it to 4WD. This will be my first job of this magnitude and wanted to get ideas.

Can someone tell me exactly what I'm going to need to replace to make the transition?

Expected price on said items?

Its alot less hassle/money to buy a 4wd XJ.Biggest issue is you need a new transmission,a 2wd trans can be converted but it still requires the 4wd parts and a complete rebuild of the 2wd trans!

First to the gent suggesting a search - what verbiage would you suggest I use - 4WD Conversion, 4x4 Conversion and 2WD Conversion to 4WD does not pull up any seemingly relevant posts. If I've overlooked on please let me know as I don't mean to be a hassle.

Regarding getting another XJ preferably a 4x4 is a good one - but the deal I got on the 2WD is what it is. Now it appears I have been able to locate a 4WD donor locally.

But what all parts am I going to have to swap over?

I think this is a complete list:

axle (dana 30 or 44)
transmission
ECM(Engine Control Module) also out of the same year jeep
(model number on transmission is AW4),
get the transfer case (New Process Gear 231[np231]) out of any year 6cyl. jeep betweem 94-99)
front and rear diffs (matching gears),
both driveshafts,
transfer case
shifter,
cross member.

Now am I going to run into a problem with the front/rear diffs if I'm currently running a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear?

Thanks for your info guys.

But what all parts am I going to have to swap over?

I think this is a complete list:

axle (dana 30 or 44)
transmission
ECM(Engine Control Module) also out of the same year jeep
(model number on transmission is AW4),
get the transfer case (New Process Gear 231[np231]) out of any year 6cyl. jeep betweem 94-99)
front and rear diffs (matching gears),
both driveshafts,
transfer case
shifter,
cross member.

Now am I going to run into a problem with the front/rear diffs if I'm currently running a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear?

sounds like a complete list, except for the interior transfer case shifter bezel. and the transfer case shifter boot. obviously the shifter linkage goes with the trans/shifter. i think the crossmember is the same 2wd or 4wd.

as far as 'problems with the front/rear diffs cause of the 8.25 your currently running, they only have to match gear ratio, usually if you stick to a donor truck with the same kind of transmission as you, you SHOULD be fine... there ARE EXCEPTIONS, and obviously you should double check in the field before shifting to 4wd. otherwise, it's a stock axle...

as far as searching, use google. not naxja's internal search engine. i usually just add 'naxja' to my search string. "4wd conversion naxja" brings up tons of results, should one be so inclined to look through them all.

It's easy. It has got to be the easiest conversions to do. The stuff just bolts up and you can do it in pieces, like putting the trans on and then the transfer case so that you don't need a crazy trans jack. Go to the U pull it Yard and you can do it for less than $400.

Don't let anyone tell you it is hard or that it is expensive. I bought a 2WD 1990 Cherokee and it was so easy I was laughing my butt off the whole time. I bought my XJ for $300 and put another $200 in steering box and pump "leaking like a mutha" $60 for headliner cloth and glue then another $400 for the parts from the U pull it yard. $960 Cherokee. Next is prepping it for paint then off to Maaco for a $400 paint job.

And you can pick good clean stuff from a dozen different trucks and get really nice stuff that doesn't have leaks. Look for oil and dirt around the seals. If not, replacing seals is something you want to probably do anyway. Get all the little brackets, boots, screws too. Console. , the holes and harness is all there pre installed. I even had the bulb in the dash for AWD indicator. Plug and play.

If you can't do this conversion stick to air filter and oil changes. A friend can be very helpful but I did mine by myself "most people can". I don't think you need the ECM. I didn't need it. It doesn't do anything for the 4WD, at least for the older models.

You need:
Drive shafts 2x $40 "for both"
Trans $120
Transfer case $85
T-case shift $23
Front Axle $87 Make sure you match axle ratios. And you need the brakes. 2WD are different "smaller".
Total $355 + tax $20 for console if you want it.

These are the totals for the U Pull and Pay in Denver but should be close to other help yourself yards.
Check the website, they have the price list on it. U Pull And Pay dot com

I have a 96 2WD Jeep Cherokee that is my new toy. I realize though that I'm going to need to convert it to 4WD. This will be my first job of this magnitude and wanted to get ideas.

Can someone tell me exactly what I'm going to need to replace to make the transition?

Expected price on said items?

Just to let people know. The transmission module that is under the glove box dash trim panel needs to be the same year group as your transmission you are using. I was lucky and had the correct one to begin with.
If you use a 21 spline input T-case (87 to 90) you will have to use a 21 spline output shaft AW4 automatic transmission (87 to 90) and vise versa. If you buy a 91 or newer AW4 trans or T-case they are going to be 23 spline. The Manual trans AX15 in the older years (87 to 90) uses a 23 spline input shaft on the NP231 T-case so that is an option. You can install a 23 input on the older t-case also. It's not that hard to do, but you would have to take it apart to do it.

Last edited:
Back