• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd 4x4 (soccer mom SUV) opinion

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am not to sure if this is the right forum to ask so if it is wrong then feel free to move it mods.
A few months ago I sold my XJ to fund the building of my MJ. It won't be my daily driver I have a G35 for that. My wife and I are kinda missing having a SUV for camping etc. We also are planning on a couple of trips into the snow this winter. With that said we are considering selling her car and getting a newer SUV for her to drive. At first my immediate inclination was an 03 or 04 WJ but now I am also thinking about an 03-04 4runner. Obviously the 4runner is more expensive and will also have a better resale value. But I wanted to see if anyone had any experinces or opinions with either vehicle. Also, any opinions on which engine to get?-- I thought I remember reading somewhere that one of the V-8's offered in the WJ was a boat anchor but I can't be sure. Keep in mind that this will not be a rockcrawler or a trail vehicle. It will be a soccermom SUV that we can take the kids camping or to trips to costco ;)

For what you've suggested I'd say a newer pathfinder with the "offroad" package. I've ridden in a few and really enjoyed it for being a modern-day suv... that is if you're dead set on getting a newer vehicle.

1 or two more probably. We will only be keeping this next vehicle until the next kid comes (hopefully a few years from now). The auto industry has yet to produce a +5 passenger vehicle that I like. The closest thing to what I like is the Commander and the exploder but the back seats are so tiny.....
I will do what ever I can to avoid a minivan ;)

That is some good info about a pathfinder. I will check into those; you don't see too many of them on the road.

Anyone have any WJ opinions?

ZPD said:

I have a 04 WJ Special Edition. I love it! I have the 4.7 Non HO with a K&N and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I use it to tow, family hauler and weekend wheeler. I would suggest if you go the route of the Dub J get the V8. I prefer the non HO because I have more access to hop up goodies and I am not required to run premium gas. I have the Quadradrive II in mine. It is all time 4WD which is nice at times. It pulls around 18 MPG with a 2" budget boost, 245/75/16 M/Ts, ARB bumper and a Surco rack, with 4 lights, catching the air like a kite. I really enjoy just driving it. It rides like a Caddy compared to my XJ. On a side note, if you do go with the WJ stay away from the dual climate controlled A/C equipped ones. They all break and it cost anywhere from $1000-$1500 to get it fixed if it is out of warranty.

My only complaint is I should have waited another year. I could have saved myself about $18,000 on a 1 year old used one. Good luck and enjoy the vehicle shopping. Here is Mama's rig

319220_57_full.jpg

i would suggest the wj with a 5.9 if you can find one. my friend has a 5.9 in his durrango and it has never lost with it, it has tons of power. it ought to be even more impressive in a wj since it weighs much less

I'll probably get shot for saying this, or banned, or something else to that effect, but here it goes. Have you considered a KJ? Before you go all "it aint a real jeep" on it, give it a chance. You can get a decently equipped one for not much money depending on what year you get. If you go around 03-04 you can get automatic, 4x4 (either selec-trac or command trac, not a whole lot of price difference b/w the two used), power locks, windows, upgraded wheels, CD player, and probably even a sunroof for about 15-16Kish (depending on your area).

Yeah yeah, its got the whole IFS thing, but ya know, it's really not that bad. How do I know you ask? Well my mom's got one, and I drive it alot and keep up on the maint. on it. So far at about 30K on hers, not one major problem. Only required the norm. oil changes and tire rotations and such. The 3.7L has got a lot of spunk considering the weight of a KJ is right at 2 tons, and it handles awesome for a Jeep. 4X4 worked awesome last winter and the winter before, and in the mild off roadin i've done in it. And trust me, she beats that thing into the ground and it hasn't acted up once.

Now, every vehicle has its perks, so if its something you'd consider, feel free to PM me and I can give you a little more info on some things to look out for.

And now, for those who want, feel free to shoot me now for mentioning a KJ on here.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I'll probably get shot for saying this, or banned, or something else to that effect, but here it goes. Have you considered a KJ? Before you go all "it aint a real jeep" on it, give it a chance. You can get a decently equipped one for not much money depending on what year you get. If you go around 03-04 you can get automatic, 4x4 (either selec-trac or command trac, not a whole lot of price difference b/w the two used), power locks, windows, upgraded wheels, CD player, and probably even a sunroof for about 15-16Kish (depending on your area).

Yeah yeah, its got the whole IFS thing, but ya know, it's really not that bad. How do I know you ask? Well my mom's got one, and I drive it alot and keep up on the maint. on it. So far at about 30K on hers, not one major problem. Only required the norm. oil changes and tire rotations and such. The 3.7L has got a lot of spunk considering the weight of a KJ is right at 2 tons, and it handles awesome for a Jeep. 4X4 worked awesome last winter and the winter before, and in the mild off roadin i've done in it. And trust me, she beats that thing into the ground and it hasn't acted up once.

Now, every vehicle has its perks, so if its something you'd consider, feel free to PM me and I can give you a little more info on some things to look out for.

And now, for those who want, feel free to shoot me now for mentioning a KJ on here.

I drove on across the state and back last year. I'll walk before I drive one of those POS rollerskates again.

buzzbombxj said:
i would suggest the wj with a 5.9 if you can find one. my friend has a 5.9 in his durrango and it has never lost with it, it has tons of power. it ought to be even more impressive in a wj since it weighs much less

you can't get a WJ with a 5.9. That was only avalible in 98 on the ZJ.

99XJSPORT06 said:

I won't flame ya, those are a bit small for my needs. They aren't that much different from my wife's Matrix as far as interior space.

ZPD said:
1 or two more probably. We will only be keeping this next vehicle until the next kid comes (hopefully a few years from now). The auto industry has yet to produce a +5 passenger vehicle that I like. The closest thing to what I like is the Commander and the exploder but the back seats are so tiny.....
I will do what ever I can to avoid a minivan ;)

That is some good info about a pathfinder. I will check into those; you don't see too many of them on the road.

We've got a Commander. I crawled back into the back seat just to see how much room there is. It's still a 3rd row seat, but I was a lot more comfortable back there than I am in my in-law's new Explorer.

I wouldn't want to put a child in a car seat back there but if they can crawl back there on their own, it would be great for them.

It's also nice because it's "stadium style" seating, so each row is a little higher than the one in front of you.

HTH

Having been in several Nissan Xterras, would sugest looking at those too. If I had a second soccer mom suv I would go there. The are cool looking and roomy inside. Very solid suv.

Pogiboy said:
Having been in several Nissan Xterras, would sugest looking at those too. If I had a second soccer mom suv I would go there. The are cool looking and roomy inside. Very solid suv.

I have read in the reviews that they are gutless. Did you have the same opinion?

ZPD said:
I won't flame ya, those are a bit small for my needs. They aren't that much different from my wife's Matrix as far as interior space.

Thanks, most people will murder you if you mention a KJ around here.

On a note of the X-terras, we test drove one before the KJ. It felt sturdy, and i definately liked the stadium style seating in the back, but the engine was pretty weak, for the weight of the vehicle. And that was the 210 Supercharged V6 (which only runs on premium). The newer X-terra's i believe have a 265 HP engine thats supposed to have more spunk to it.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Thanks, most people will murder you if you mention a KJ around here.

On a note of the X-terras, we test drove one before the KJ. It felt sturdy, and i definately liked the stadium style seating in the back, but the engine was pretty weak, for the weight of the vehicle. And that was the 210 Supercharged V6 (which only runs on premium). The newer X-terra's i believe have a 265 HP engine thats supposed to have more spunk to it.
That is what I heard but I also heard that the new engine was a dissapointment.

You have said that you only plan on going to the snow a couple of times a year. Would you use this vehicle for more serious off roading than that?

A KJ is too small for you; cargo room, passenger space, or both?

Are you towing anything with it? If so, what?

How crappy of a MPG rating are you realistically willing to accept?

How much do you want to spend?

What vehicles would you absolutely not consider?

Nothing more serious than trips to a ski resort, over donners pass and camping. KJ is too small interior and cargo but a Tahoe is too big.
Would never tow anything more than a small u-haul trailer or jet skis (If I owned some)
Mileage 15-19 would be great. Wanting to spend near $20k and wouldn't consider a GM product. I would want room for 5 somewhat comfortably.

Back