• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZ GTE Cherokee install

Wolfpackjeeper you make a good point. My thoughts thus far is to continue with the AW4, since it's already in the Jeep. But even now having just added a turbo and exhaust it flair shifts going from 1st to 2nd. Other shifts are good.

Maybe after getting the vehicle running (hopefully in Jan) and it doesn't shift good enough I can go after a better one. But it should be good enough for cruising as this is strickly a highway vehicle.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

what rear axle do you plan on running with that? if i were you i would install some frame stiffeners too if your expecting 500+ hp. i cant wait to see this, did you see the new super street with jamies supra in it? i had the pleasure of seeing that thing run at norwalk, the turbo is HUGE. i thought the hx40 my buddy and i are running on the summit was big...

i cant wait to see what you have in store for this xj. lets see some pics of said GN!

Look at page 108... not sure how many of you can read spanish...

http://www.twistedandes.com/foro/showthread.php?t=11172&page=108

Si lo habia cachado, pero ando en busca de una caja completa fundida para cambiarle la cola y usar la reduccion planetaria, ya que es kit debe usar el eje original, lo cual lo hace demasiado largo para mi jeep.

La caja puede ser Toyota o una AW4 que venia en los Cherokees, son basicamente la misma AISIN.-

I haven't had spanish in a while.. but I read... "the transmission in the toyota is a AW4 that came in the cherokee. They are basically the same Aisin.

The toyota auto trans can only handle about 400-450whp. I would try to use the aw4 and see what happens.

a friend of mine that owns a transmission shop once told me that if it wasn't for GM and Chrysler that transmission shops would go out of business. Don't get me wrong a GM or Chryco trans can be built up but so can Toyota and the AW4 is a very good transmission.

Jeep has a 3:42 rear gear, will add a locker. Have not seen Jamies Supra, not sure where to go to see it. Import Performance must really be good, they have some sporty prices. I'm satisfied with trying the AW4. Can always swap it out if necessary.

Would like to post some photos of each of my vehicles but have not figured out how. It's a pretty shabby collection but I do have some photos saved.

Did this die? As far as I am aware this swap is possible... but not at all bolt up and go... seems like a long time since someone has posted here.... what's the status on this build?

You *may* need to use your AW$ bellhousing and input shaft, but other than that it should all work.
Oh and uh... PICS ASAP :D

I think it's gonna require the Supra tranny housing with several components back, including the last planetary set of gears... but between two whole transmissions, I think it will work. TT Supra valve body mods should be made as well.

If you are using the auto tranny (A340e) that should have come with a JDM 2JZ-GTE, I know 100% it will work.

Exhibit "A"
Jeep22HybridTransmission7.jpg

This is a modified Toyota A340e that, thanks to a donor AW4, now bolts right up to a 2JZ-GTE using the stock bellhousing and torque converter, and then to the stock NP231 transfer case in the Jeep.

why not run a divorced transfer case?
good idea, but not much space in an XJ to do it, and requires more crossmembers and framing. It also requires adding seals to the input of the transfer case and output of the transmission.

Seriously? Well that would explain why I'm not doing it that way. :) The 2J comes with a "better" version of the AW4, so the simplest solution (IMHO) is to marry it to the NP231 and be done. Should bolt right in. My only worry now is that there are about 2" between the back of the 4.0 and the bulkhead. The 2J bellhousing is a half inch shorter I think, so that leaves precious little room for the differences between the 3.0 and the 4.0 block/head dimensions to the firewall. I'm hoping it fits ok, so all I have to do is set it's height and build the front motor mounts to hold it there. I want to never touch the transfer case or transmission mounting points.

I think the OP owner is gone on this, but I am not.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033211

Probably a good plan.

On the setup you have, the stock crossmember connects to the 4wd adapter housing on the tranny, and the transfer case and transmission both bolt to that. No transfer case mount per se.

Back