• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

292 6 cyl head, made from welding V8 heads

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/cylinder_head.html

Could this be done to an AMC 6? Is there an AMC V8 with same bore spacing as the I6...imagine a jeep with the exhaust on the passenger side, opposite the intake side. Better driveshaft clearance, steering shaft clearance, and cooler fuel lines. Plus no front pipe cutting so close to the oil and transmission pans.

-nope
V8 bore spacing 4.75
I6 bore spacing 4.38

Last edited:
Could it be done Probably as long as the spacing is it correct. Is it gonna be cheap? Hell No! :D

this goes up there with the guy who machined LS1 heads to fit on a 4.6. Boom, instant SBF that could actually breath worth a damn. Cool, but pretty intensive.

http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/cylinder_head.html

Could this be done to an AMC 6? Is there an AMC V8 with same bore spacing as the I6...imagine a jeep with the exhaust on the passenger side, opposite the intake side. Better driveshaft clearance, steering shaft clearance, and cooler fuel lines. Plus no front pipe cutting so close to the oil and transmission pans.

-nope
V8 bore spacing 4.75
I6 bore spacing 4.38

That's the running joke in the shop I work at. Whenever a nice set of heads comes in (14*, SB2 etc...) someone asks me if I want to cut the two in half and make them fit on my jeep. I've test fit a bunch of heads but nothing fit yet.

The shop that did the SB chevy head isn't too far from me, but i'm not sure if it was a CDP item or Lary's work.

One of the local cylinder head shops hear combined two LS1 heads to work on a 300CID I6 ford. Pretty wicked looking!

Crossflow head would be nice but the header over the distributor would suck. Would be just fine for a 2000-2001 though.

One of the local cylinder head shops hear combined two LS1 heads to work on a 300CID I6 ford. Pretty wicked looking!

Crossflow head would be nice but the header over the distributor would suck. Would be just fine for a 2000-2001 though.

Who says the header has to be over the dizzy? Put the intake overtop of it instead, and use the existing exhaust routing.

Or, do something I've wanted to play with for a while - and adapt the GM V6/DIS over to run the AMC242. Or go "whole hawg" and build a MegaSquirt (but I think the GM would give a better potential basis for the programme, and would be simpler to tune in. Then, I haven't gotten to play with the MS yet, either.) Use the 1999-up AMC 242 oil pump drive and camshaft sensor - which I believe is a standard Hall Effect unit, and will therefore be compatible with the GM setup - and stick that under the intake. The exhaust still trails down the driver's side using the existing routing (preserving functionality of the OEM and aftermarket headers, simplifying design) and merely requiring the fabrication of the "ultimate" I6 intake. Elimination of the aircon (we're building a performance rig, right?) and re-routing of the snake belt should get us what we need.

If we leave the intake put, we'll have to design a header that will work with the accessory mounting as given - which could get difficult (and, if the alternator is relocated topside, will shorten its life considerably.)

Third option - how about a single-point drive using a belt to drive a bull gear, and accessories being gear-driven off of that? Nah - too silly...

Wow, this is crazy. This second life for the 4.0 almost happened

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2006/08/24/last-40/

According to my contact - before I stopped hearing from him - DCX treated the old Kenosha plant like a red-headed stepchild. Said he once tried to convince his superiors to let him cut two 3.5L DOHC V-6 heads apart, weld them together and scratch-built new cams for the 4.0L. “A four valve cross flow aluminum SOHC head would give that engine a new lease on life, and only make it a quarter inch taller, but the company says it’s not feasible,” he told me. “The company made up their minds long ago.”

Last edited:
Back