• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

272,000 mile 94 cherokee for a $100.

Are you talking about a gas cap if so arent they suppose to beable to hold 5-15 psi. Also i forgot to say that it does idle and run fine when I start it up but, when I take off or put a load on it, it cuts out or dies unless I get the clutch in quick enough. Also i unplugged the o2 sensor and it did not change a thing.

It's an IAC, not an AIC. Stands for Idle air controller. It can not be tested with a ohm meter that I know of, but some one posted an interesting test a day or two ago in a similar thread here where they pulled the IAC and cycled the power on and off with out starting the engine to see if the motor turned and screw reset when the the engine was turned off. There is a relay that engages when the engine is turned off that allows the ECU 5 seconds to reset the IAC for the engine start up. Don't recall exactly how he did the test, but it was the first resonable method I have ever heard of.

Most people just solvent clean and lighly oil the IAC and reinstall it, and hope it works. Another IAC test, or idle problem issolation test is to disconnect the IAC and run it with out the IAC. Then if the idle suddenly sticks at a high or low idle, or wanders up and down, you know it is not the IAC that is changing the idle spped!

sik4wheeler said:
Is an Ohm meter all i need to check the AIC or is there something other way?

I still have yet to get the jeep going. Since my last post I have replaced the cps(no change) and I have been wheeling and working on my 89. I would like to get this thing going so I can drive something that gets decent mileage.

timing has been checked. It was set dorrectly. I was thinking that it might have overheated before I bought because the radiator has a few holes in it. It also has dirty/brownish fluid in the radiator that I have not changed yet. What would a bad cts or bad injectors cause.

Based on the latest info here the dying with throttle applied, acceleration, is a dead give away that the TPS, or its connections, or wiring are bad. Replace the TPS, they do wear out!

Also check the MAP sensor to throttle body vacuum line and make sure it is not loose. I still think the dying when it warms up is one of the temperature sensors, coolant or Air Intake Temp sensor.

If the injectors were bad it would not idle properly at all. CTS and IAT affect the electronic timing, adjusting the timing for hotter engine and intake air as it warms up, and adjusting the A/F based on the changing air density.

I have a 94 cherokee and it was doing that exact thing that your are talking aobut. I checked the fuel pump/pressure, spark, CPS, etc. Nothing. After doing some checking I opened up the computer and noticed that the chip would get red hot after about 10 minutes of running and the gel around it had actually melted off. I bought a reman. computer and had it flashed and installed it. I havent had any issues since. Hope this Helps.

Lil Joe:)

Back