• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 wont shift out of 4x4

Just curious, but did you ever try shifting the TC while coasting in neutral? I would assume so, but you went straight to the "I got a new transfer case" step with your posts so I can't tell. My wifes 242 won't shift while you are sitting still no matter what gear you are in. while rolling it will shift easily out of 4wd to 2wd most of the time. Sometimes it will stick though, and you can feel the power loss as it is in 4wd fulltime. after a few miles with the handle in the 2wd position it pops into 2wd

Have you taken the TC bezel off and looked for coins yet?
I just fished about a buck in nickels, dimes and pennies out of the mine.
I even found 4 pennies that were either cut in half or bent to heck.
There's still some in there but it shifts real easy now.

You'll need a long skinny slot screwdriver and some long and thin needle nose pilers.

I'd bet most everyone has some coins in their TC linkage.

goodburbon said:
Just curious, but did you ever try shifting the TC while coasting in neutral? I would assume so, but you went straight to the "I got a new transfer case" step with your posts so I can't tell. My wifes 242 won't shift while you are sitting still no matter what gear you are in. while rolling it will shift easily out of 4wd to 2wd most of the time. Sometimes it will stick though, and you can feel the power loss as it is in 4wd fulltime. after a few miles with the handle in the 2wd position it pops into 2wd

yea, it wouldnt shift into 2 wheel drive if you were moving or stopped. didnt matter the position. ended up driving it in 4 hi parttime for 3 days till i got the other tcase and dropped everything off at my brothers.

Back