• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Transfer Case-Tom Woods SYE Kit

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So I called to order a SYE kit and driveshaft from Tom Woods and they don't have any of the cores for the 242 with the speedo opening. There is a runaround of swapping without a speedo. I would have to get one without the speedo, install it and then sending mine in to get adjusted. They would then send it back to me. So basically I would be swapping this out more times than I would like to during a Wisconsin winter.

If anyone has their cores laying around PLEASE, PLEASE return them or if you have a 242 case laying around give them a call, they may buy it from you!

Thanks!

Keith

Why not do the H&T yourself, and get a driveshaft from somewhere else?

Haleyes said:
Why not do the H&T yourself, and get a driveshaft from somewhere else?

I guess because I feel more comfortable getting it from Tom Woods. It seems that everyone has been happy with their products, they are a sponsor of this forum, and I don't trust myself hacking and tapping something that is one of the lifelines to my jeep. No offense to the H&T method but I just think the Tom Woods route would be more reliable.

why not go on http://www.car-part.com

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...7.9067&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=2

they have 3 for $115 each in wisconsin and a core one for $69

i would buy the core mail tom woods the parts he wants then have a spare in the garage, if when the day comes your 242 is thrashed you can get a rebuild kit for the core, and swap it right in and never miss a day of wheeling.

there is 9 junkyards with a call for price which i found is DEFINATELY worth the call as i have got rebuildable core 4l60e for $75 and great deals like that.

also search on carparts under grandcherokee and durango for 242 cores, id rather buy a core for $70 than get on the cold wisconsin ground a half dozen times for this predicament

Last edited:
motorcityxj said:
why not go on http://www.car-part.com

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...7.9067&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=2

they have 3 for $115 each in wisconsin and a core one for $69

i would buy the core mail tom woods the parts he wants then have a spare in the garage, if when the day comes your 242 is thrashed you can get a rebuild kit for the core, and swap it right in and never miss a day of wheeling.

there is 9 junkyards with a call for price which i found is DEFINATELY worth the call as i have got rebuildable core 4l60e for $75 and great deals like that.

also search on carparts under grandcherokee and durango for 242 cores, id rather buy a core for $70 than get on the cold wisconsin ground a half dozen times for this predicament

Maybe I will look into that because the saved time alone can justify $100.
What is this though?? model 242, w/Police or Export package
Also is the Grand Cherokee 242 different than the Cherokee?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
i got mine sitting here i'll send it in asap. They gave me the same deal with the kit minus the speedo but I'd highly recommend not doing that because it was much more of a pain then they try to make it sound. I ended up calling them during the install and they admitted that you couldn't just swap out some parts and leave it missing some. It was pretty much a mess I don't feel like getting into details but I will send my core in so you can get it and I can get my 400 bucks.

jsk2052 said:
i got mine sitting here i'll send it in asap. They gave me the same deal with the kit minus the speedo but I'd highly recommend not doing that because it was much more of a pain then they try to make it sound. I ended up calling them during the install and they admitted that you couldn't just swap out some parts and leave it missing some. It was pretty much a mess I don't feel like getting into details but I will send my core in so you can get it and I can get my 400 bucks.

AWESOME!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!

Depending on what year XJ and model of 242 case you have, you'll either get a flange or a yoke output. I would rather have a yoke output for a couple of reasons.

a) Gives you the chance of getting a serviceable CV joint, I have yet to see a stock spicer flange CV joint that comes with a gease fitting

b) front and rear driveshafts are swappable, so if you bend the rear you can at least get home

c) the yoke style adds a slight preload to the bearings and shaft, for tighter tolerances and less chance of shaft wobble and bearings getting worn out

Back