• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 or 231....

You can run a lunchbox locker with a 242 just fine.

I have the 242, love it. the ONLY upside to a 231 is the 2LO option aftermarket

the 242 hangs down about 7/8"s lower then a 231, Not nearly enough to justify the Full-time loss

and both of them are Equally reliable

Another vote for keeping the 242.

x2 on the Tom Wood. A little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. Kind of surprised you need a SYE at this point. I ran a 5.5" lift with a .75" TC drop (essentially lifting the TC 4.75") for 6 years before finally getting a SYE. Vibes were hardly noticeable and I never wore out any driveline parts. Maybe it's a pre '97 vs. post '97 thing... I was under the impression that the older XJ's had less problems in this arena though?

I decided to do the SYE when I upgraded the rear end to a D44 so I'd only have to buy a new driveshaft once. Something to consider if you're planning on getting rid of the D35.

So you don't think that I would need the t-case drop? when I had it up on the lift, and the rear was at full droop, I couldn't turn the rear driveshaft because it was binding so bad!

How bout one of those longer slip yokes? I have seen those for about $60. do thet have anymore clearance in the yoke?

I've just recently been considering putting in one of those six-pinion planetary gears intended for a 231. That would really up the strength of my 242. And for those who will question its doability, the part numbers are the same for 231 and 242 three-pinion planetaries--at least for 1997-1999.

here is the simple decision branch: if you want to use the jeep for all-wheel drive on slick surfaces (ice, rain, mud) then the 242 is going to be your best bet. if you want to use the jeep for four-wheel drive on loose surfaces (gravel, dirt, mud) then either will work but the 231 will work better.

Other than the 231 being Marginally stronger than the 242, Why would the 231 be better than a 242 off road?
When you shift the 242 into part time what's differennt from the 231?

Other than the 231 being Marginally stronger than the 242, Why would the 231 be better than a 242 off road?
When you shift the 242 into part time what's differennt from the 231?

HD panetaries,HD chains,HD output shafts,2Low kits and 4:1 kits!

The problem with the 242 is that is uses a viscous coupler that tranfers power to the front or rear as needed in full-time 4wd. This is what makes it so good on slick roads. This is also what makes it so bad for lockers, at least in full-time 4wd. Just like an open diff. which tranfers power to the tire with the least resistance, the viscous coupler does the same thing on slick roads but on rocks will sometimes stop sending any power to a locked up front or rear end just when you need the traction most. I understand that part-time is different but some 242's are full-time only. The viscous coupler is also prone to wear that will manifest itself by the tires grabbing and jerking when turning in 2wd as if you were in 4wd.

I'm not saying that it's a bad t-case. It's great for slick roads and such but if you plan on rock crawling the 231 has a much better aftermaket parts selection and is more suitible for lockers.

Just my .02

Cheers!

The problem with the 242 is that is uses a viscous coupler that tranfers power to the front or rear as needed in full-time 4wd. This is what makes it so good on slick roads. This is also what makes it so bad for lockers, at least in full-time 4wd. Just like an open diff. which tranfers power to the tire with the least resistance, the viscous coupler does the same thing on slick roads but on rocks will sometimes stop sending any power to a locked up front or rear end just when you need the traction most. I understand that part-time is different but some 242's are full-time only. The viscous coupler is also prone to wear that will manifest itself by the tires grabbing and jerking when turning in 2wd as if you were in 4wd.

I'm not saying that it's a bad t-case. It's great for slick roads and such but if you plan on rock crawling the 231 has a much better aftermaket parts selection and is more suitible for lockers.

Just my .02

Cheers!

i believe that the 242 doesn't have a VC...the 249 does...

Just my .02

Cheers!

You're describing the 249, which came in Grand Cherokees, not XJs. The 242 does not have the viscous coupler.

I believe the 242 has a differential that splits power. It's "open" in full-time, "locked" in part-time. And except for a linkage issue that I recently took care of, I like my 242. I ran the piss out of it in full-time during all of the snow we had in December, made it worry-free when traversing between snowy back roads and dry, plowed main roads.

Back