• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

23 gallon ZJ tank in a renix.

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So a I saw a guy that has a 23 gallon ZJ tank in his XJ that he put in his late model 2001 XJ with basically no mods, they fit perfectly between the frame, anyone put this into a renix? I would imagine you would have to splice the fuel pump wiring? Is that it? Renix have a return and ZJ do not? Just curious if anyone has a write up on this.

Ya I don't know if a renix sending unit will work. I might just grab a tank and pump and see if it works

the late model tanks are plastic with a pump and sending unit that drops in from the top

renix is a metal tank with a pump and sending unit that feeds in from the front

renix and HO sweep voltage differently, the sending units are not interchangable.

the late model tanks are plastic with a pump and sending unit that drops in from the top

renix is a metal tank with a pump and sending unit that feeds in from the front

renix and HO sweep voltage differently, the sending units are not interchangable.

Ya I knew about the top versus front and was assuming the sending units would be fubar. Oh well. Ill just grab a 2 gallon rotopack and a call it good.

I think the ZJ tank is bigger than 23 gallons

I've ran into the gas light and put 23 gallons in..

Jon, have you done the tube mod, where you pull the inner tube up to get more fuel in the tank?
Also, last I knew, Transfer Flow makes a 30 gallon drop in tank.

Got a link Jeremy ?

Its hard to justify 640$ on a tank + shipping. I guess hypothetically if you ran out of gas in the middle of nevada or something with a 18 gallon tank the extra 14 gallons from a 32 gallon tank would be nice to have. 23 gallon tank seemed legit since the extra 5 gallons would be great and it wouldnt hang too low. I would fear the 32 gallon tank would hang really low. anyone have a measurement for how much lower they hang?

seems like all of the cheap aftermarket tanks are 20 gallons, isn't that an extra 1.5 gallons over stock 18.5, thats not too bad. that ana 2 gallon can would be 3.5 gallons which an extra 50 miles in an emergency.

Last edited:
I have the Genright 30 gallon one and it doesn't hang any lower than stock.

Got a link Jeremy ?

Yeah, i only see dodge ford gm and toyota on the site
I have been looking around since I posted. I haven't found anything online. A couple people I have talked to recently said that they don't make the XJ tanks anymore. I guess would have to find a catalog or call them and ask. I do know that the high capacity tank cost the same as their "stock size replacement tank" Which I think was in the 300$ range.

Back