• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2017 trail run/trip discussion.

Mnkyboy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In the past we have had a number of runs that we try to do every year,I would like to know what runs you would like to see this year besides NWfest.
Example: turkey day run,noob run,summer campout,ect...

Also think about who can help lead these runs,I personally don't know the areas we wheel well enough to confidently lead our runs so we will need some of our experienced members to fill in as trail boss/lead,if you have wheeled with Nick or Dustin for example you know what kind of person we need.

Let's hear some input.

Last edited:
My input is that we need Nick and Dustin. Those are huge shoes to fill. And I don't know that they've thrown their hands up, but if they have, I'd guess it's for the pathetic turnout we get on the trail runs. I'm as much to blame as anyone, but would commit to a couple of runs led by those guys if it meant keeping them involved.
I just recently joined the FB group and was shocked by how many built XJs there are running around that we never see on the organized NAXJA trips. We gotta fix whatever's wrong that's causing that. Whatever it is, it's not Nick or Dustin.
To respond to your request directly, I'd suggest runs at Kingsley and Cline Buttes in the spring. April-ish. I live near Kingsley now, and know both areas fairly well. I'd hesitate to lead a large group just because I feel like that's best left for a badass rig that can run/try everything. That's not quite my rig. I'll definitely be making a trip or two to each of these areas this spring though and will post up my plans in the Staging Area. Maybe I'd become TL by default.
See you on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree,the members me included have let down the BOD the last few years by not participating as much as we could.
I have been trying to get more group participation but can only do so much,the members have to decide to keep the club moving.

Hopefully as we move forward more members start becoming more active again,i have already noticed some members coming back out of the woodwork and getting involved and some that are lurking to see what is going on.

Our last BOD came in optimistic with big plans and we shut them down, i hope to have better luck but only time will tell.

Last edited:
I think we should definitely have the noob run again as it helped bring a lot of hesitant xj owners out of the woodworks, I know when I first started I was hesitant because the runs would look extremely challenging and daunting but the noob run helps me get more confident in my ability to drive.
I know some still run 31" or no lockers and I think a end of summer noob run would be a good idea. Maybe even combine that with the summer camp out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't that those of us(including Nick and Dustin) that have done larger trail runs in the past don't want to lead groups. Life changes, job changes, rig changes, etc... happen. We still go out and sometimes it's last minute. I do enjoy my annual NW Fest time.

If you do get a chance to lead larger runs you will also see that it can be challenging to get everyone moving and keep everyone moving, sometimes it's like hurding cats. I will never tell you to do something that is beyond your capacity. If I do recommend you do or try something it is because I know it will probably be advantageous for you, your rig, and the group. Don't everyone get out when the line stops because getting the group moving again can be a huge delay(see hurding cats)if you do get out be prepared to mount up and move out quickly. Never be afraid to pull line and if you're not familiar with good winching technique ask for advice(WARN is a local company that stands behind their product). Don't bring your barely runnning rig out for a trail run. Get a good radio AND a better antenna(mounted properly). Air pressure is key to all things good so buy a good low pressure gauge and a better air delivery system(this is the most important and cheapest mod for traction). Work as a team. I have many other items but these are a good start for a fun day on the trails.

The other thing that has changed and largely effects groups such as NAXJA is social media. There are other groups that have started and can be more appealing due to closer proximity, other friends are there, different activities, etc.

If you want to draw out some new people offer up some basic classes or talk about equipment or spare parts needs. The sky is the limit on this stuff.

As far as i know Nick and Dustin are still around and would help, most of my point was that other members need to think about stepping into these roles if needed.
If we go back to hosting multiple club runs i would like to know that the same guys aren't stuck with it just because they are good at it.

I understand the issues with social media pushing out the traditional groups,we have stepped up our efforts on Facebook and between our two pages we have 350 people in one and 250 in the other,the trick is getting people who have been spoiled by the ease of Facebook to come in here. I think we have got a little more traffic in here and i know we have gained some members.

I have no problem leading some runs whenever needed. As long as I'm free, I'll try and make it.

In the past we've had a stickied thread "ex. Runs of 2017." I tried to keep it updated throughout the year with the planned runs/events/M&G's. Pencil some runs on the calendar, and then link to the staging area when they get posted. This way folks can look ahead, plan for time off, work on getting their junk fixed, etc.

TORXfest is coming up next month ;)

Hey guys, I want to get more involved too. I've had my Jeep going on 14 years and I'm just now getting around to building it. Life happened but never lost the fire to go wheeling. I don't do facebook so all my planned runs will come from :NAXJA:, more specifically, NW Chapter.

I am a total wheeling noob so I will need lots of coaching and advice. I will also need a list of "must have" items. Los Lobos listed a few, that's awesome. I will also need some advance notice on dates if possible I work every Friday and Saturday 12hr shifts. I know its best for everyone else to plan those dates for trips but I have 13 other teammates competing for the same time off in the summer months. The earlier the better for me as its first come first served style.

The noob run/camping sounds like a great time for me but I hope to get in at least 2 runs in 17. I'm still building my jeep but I'm fighting this bad weather on my days off. My garage is full of motorcycles so no room indoors. :(

Great part of the noob run is it isn't as fast paced as other trips are. It is more about taking the time and learning your jeeps capabilities and having others assist you and teach you how to wheel smart. I know I learned a lot when I went to my first noob run.

For me I always looked at NAXJA as a group of incredibly built wheelers until I poked around some, I am very new to NAXJA and looking to become more involved in the group, for more begginer runs Ladee Flats OHV is very easy and from my time exploring it, I wouldn't mind showing people around the area, but I lack some vital recovery gear that I need to invest in to be a trail lead or something along those lines.

Some of the best builds out there belong to NAXJA members but we have all kinds of people here at different stages.

I have not been to a noob run but it has been popular in the past, the Christmas tree run is another great beginner run and was my first NAXJA run years ago.
The camping runs are good too even if it's just to camp ,i took a Ford Focus to the summer camp out one year and have taken a stock XJ to NWfest and still had a good time so even if you don't have a functional or capable Jeep you can still be involved.

The noob run is typically held at TSF but moving it to Ladee isn't a bad idea,Ladee is fairly easy with many bypasses and closer to home for many of us.

Noob run is exactly what I need. We're slowly turning my DD in to a trail capable rig and it seems pretty daunting to just jump in balls deep. As much as I went to go on runs my rig just isn't ready yet. No cb, no recovery points, 3" lift on 31's. The more we build this thing up the more I'm hoping to start getting involved in group activities.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Noob run is exactly what I need. We're slowly turning my DD in to a trail capable rig and it seems pretty daunting to just jump in balls deep. As much as I went to go on runs my rig just isn't ready yet. No cb, no recovery points, 3" lift on 31's. The more we build this thing up the more I'm hoping to start getting involved in group activities.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Honestly at 3" lift and 31" tires, you're pretty good to go on most stuff. Maybe a locker front or rear and a tow point and you'll have a lot of fun.
My first time was 31" and 2" of lift and a factory lsd rear lol still did a lot there.
Noob run would be good, we can plan one near end of summer.

Open/Open on 31's is a blast. This is a gnarlie section, most of the forest is not this challenging. I "chose" to take my rig up this section. It was fun, and no real carnage to boot. open/open 3" 31" tires setup is as about as reliable as your going to get on the trail with an xj. more parts, more fun yes, but also more breakage. I had a blast with my xj for 3 years on this setup. It will really teach you how to wheel. Dont be intimidated by our XJ brethren here.

Armor up and rock that shit :party:

Bronze.

I think we should definitely have the noob run again as it helped bring a lot of hesitant xj owners out of the woodworks, I know when I first started I was hesitant because the runs would look extremely challenging and daunting but the noob run helps me get more confident in my ability to drive.
I know some still run 31" or no lockers and I think a end of summer noob run would be a good idea. Maybe even combine that with the summer camp out.

I also think a noob run would be great. I am new to naxja and new to jeeps. I have done a lot of driving around old forest roads in a full size but never any serious wheeling. it would be cool to work into it and get some pointers. i bought an already built jeep so i am confident it will do alot. its locked front and rear etc. but i lack the experience. i definitely want to get down on some runs even if they arent necessarily "noob" runs but i want to stay away from the more technical stuff until i get more trail time under my belt

also, aside from a noob run, if anybody is planning any less technical trips in the more near future let me know and i will try to make it.. in the meantime i have just been testing out my skills at tahuya since its easy and not far. if you guys know of any other trails or areas that are beginner friendly i would greatly appreciate it..

Back