• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Transfer case removal

02809bristol

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a little help removing a transfer case out of a 2001 parts XJ
List of issues trying to remove TC
1) unable to remove front driveshaft off TC , one of the small bolts is stripped.
2) unable to remove nuts for transmission bracket in middle of crossmember
3) space is limited XJ is on car ramps in garage
4) RUST Everywhere !! I forgot I was working on a Jeep !

Will I be able to remove , given issues above. Have floor jack ready to go , I just don't want to be stuck with transmission& TC hanging . Once I remove I want to sell parts car ASAP .
Any help out there?

Soak the drive shaft bolt in PB blaster for a couple days. Take a longer socket that barely doesn't fit and hammer it on. Add some heat (torch) and hit the ratchet with a hammer. If you pull the metal will just continue to give way.

For the transmission get a pry bar or something along those lines. Have a friend wedge it in and push down against the cross member as hard as possible. Use a ratchet to try and bust it lose. Worse case it will break the bolt and you can drill it out.

PB plaster everything and let it soak for awhile. It sucks because I'm probably one of the most impatient people but rushing only causes broken bolts and redone jobs.

If you're not worried about saving the crossmember or driveshaft, cut them off so you can work on a bench. You can dremel the sleeve holding the u-joint to get the ds removed and then you can pop the yoke off and drill out the bolt from the back side.

Back