• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Front end popping / rattle ... but not all the time.

I also have a 2001 Cherokee with a rattle in the front suspension I've been chasing. I bought this thing a few years back with 132,000 miles and now I have around 187,000. I haven't drove it for the last year or so because it needed some work done, but before I stopped driving it, I noticed some clunking, knocking, and rattling going on. I've replaced nearly everything in the front and while most of the noise is gone, I still have a rattle on the passenger side when you leave the pavement and the suspension is working. Also still have a little popping. I'm trying to get it back on the road and start driving it again and this rattle is annoying the hell out of me.

Below is a list of front components I've replaced since I bought it, some within the last few weeks. Don't have many miles on stuff I replaced a few years back. Didn't drive it much.

Ball Joints (Spicer)
Hubs (Spicer)
Front Axle U-joints (Spicer)
Upper and lower control arms (Moog) New bolts too.

Sway bar bushings
Front drive shaft U-joint at pinion (Spicer)
All tie rod ends except the one at the RH knuckle (Moog) Seems good

New shocks a few years back
Rough Country or Rusty's, can't remember which, adjustable track bar with Moog end
New rotors and calipers on front, new drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders on rear.

I have not replaced motor mounts, but I do have a new pair. They old ones still look good. Any idea what the rattle could be?

Back