• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Crane cam & Cloyes timing set

DUNE JUMP

NAXJA Forum User
I've been working on my father in law's Jeep for a while now, first to replace a cracked 0331 head, and now to replace the cam, lifters, and timing set.

We are putting a Crane cam in and the Cloyes timing set. Problem is, the cam snout doesn't look at all like the stock one, and won't work with the stock cam retention plate. I searched and it seems we need a different bolt, a thrust pin, and spring to hold the cam from walking out.

I do not want to have to pull this thing apart again, this is the second time through this. Does anyone have experience with putting a Crane cam into a 2000-2001? With the Cloyes timing set, do I still line up the marks closest to each other the way it shows in the instructions? With the distributorless ignition, is it even possible to put the timing advanced? If anyone has done this, any help would be appreciated.

The cylinder 3 intake lifter and cam lobe were shot, there was a hole in the bottom of the lifter and the cam was flattened.

Thanks for the help!

You'll need the cam bolt/washer/spring/thrust pin kit to fit the Camshaft sproket onto the Crane cam. The thrust pin rests against the timing cover and prevents the cam from "walking". You won't need to use the '99+ cam retaining plate.
With the Cloyes timing set, just make sure the marks face each other as you would for a stock timing set. This will ensure the cam timing is "straight up". You can advance the timing 4 degrees with the Cloyes set but I would advise against it because you could run into piston-to-valve clearance problems.

Back