• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Comanche R/T

Those 360s can make pretty decent power. One of my buds has a dakota r/t, not 100% sure of the exact specs, but the thing REALLY moves, he actually just picked up a blower for it too.

Sounds like a sweet plan you have going, cant wait to see it done :)

Those 360s can make pretty decent power. One of my buds has a dakota r/t, not 100% sure of the exact specs, but the thing REALLY moves, he actually just picked up a blower for it too.

Sounds like a sweet plan you have going, cant wait to see it done :)
The problem with the Dakota R/T's is that they're pigs. And stock are not that fast. They typically run high 15s, which is decent, but nothing special. Modded I have seen a few in the 12's
My 92 Dakota with a 318/46rh 4wd ran 16 flat. My current Renix XJ stock with 235/75 AT's ran a best of 17.4 @ 76mph. Will do even better when I put in a GM LSx motor.

360 in a Comanche should move pretty well.

Just saw this for the first time. It might top Ross for the longest build ever, but I'm sure it will be hella nice when its done :D

I know you're looking to keep costs down, but would going to a 44 save any weight? I imagine there are more people looking to go 44 to 60, so you might be able to trade straight up. And where is the 2001 MY coming from? Newest factory parts would only be 99, no? At any rate, I love the idea of making it look and feel factory. My ultimate goal is to have a 99 MJ, but maybe just do a turbo stroker and call it an SRT6 with badges from a Crossfire.

I'm a little confused at the purpose of the 44 and 60 combo. If it's built to stay on the streets for the most part, why the overkill axles?

But it still sounds like a pretty sweet build - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :thumbup:

My 94 and 98 Dodge 2500 FSMs showed up in the mail while I was in Indiana for Winterfest :D

Just saw this for the first time. It might top Ross for the longest build ever, but I'm sure it will be hella nice when its done :D
I'm sure it will. I'm not exactly fast when I want something to come out perfect.

I know you're looking to keep costs down, but would going to a 44 save any weight? I imagine there are more people looking to go 44 to 60, so you might be able to trade straight up. And where is the 2001 MY coming from? Newest factory parts would only be 99, no? At any rate, I love the idea of making it look and feel factory. My ultimate goal is to have a 99 MJ, but maybe just do a turbo stroker and call it an SRT6 with badges from a Crossfire.
already come up... hell I have a ford 44 sitting in my yard.

I'm not entirely sure yet. I might end up horse trading the axles around, it isn't like it hasn't happened before. I intend to be able to tow at least *something* with this, and figure a bit more strength wouldn't hurt. I'm not exactly nice to my drivetrains, either - I'm not claiming I will break a 44 on the street with this thing, but I'd rather not even have to think about it.

I'm a little confused at the purpose of the 44 and 60 combo. If it's built to stay on the streets for the most part, why the overkill axles?

But it still sounds like a pretty sweet build - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :thumbup:
what 44/60 combo? Donor truck has 60s under both ends... see above reply.

Good luck, you'll be waiting a while for progress aside from collecting parts :roflmao:

My 94 and 98 Dodge 2500 FSMs showed up in the mail while I was in Indiana for Winterfest :D

I'm sure it will. I'm not exactly fast when I want something to come out perfect.

already come up... hell I have a ford 44 sitting in my yard.

I'm not entirely sure yet. I might end up horse trading the axles around, it isn't like it hasn't happened before. I intend to be able to tow at least *something* with this, and figure a bit more strength wouldn't hurt. I'm not exactly nice to my drivetrains, either - I'm not claiming I will break a 44 on the street with this thing, but I'd rather not even have to think about it.

what 44/60 combo? Donor truck has 60s under both ends... see above reply.

Good luck, you'll be waiting a while for progress aside from collecting parts :roflmao:
You do relize that those are th eworst 60's ever made and are basicly garbage

You do relize that those are th eworst 60's ever made and are basicly garbage
I know the front has that stupid CAD setup, but didn't know the rest of the specs were actually that bad.

even if there junk. hes still just going to use this on the street. it cant be that bad for street use.

how many splines is that 60? if its 30 I have a locker you might want :)

hmmmm... a locker... I guess I can go through rubber twice as fast if I get one of those for it :eyes:

I have no idea, but will check when I pull the axles.

Within a few weeks I should have the entire donor stripped and cut up, since it appears to be 70 degrees and sunny on this fine March 8th :shocked: I'm guessing we won't have any significant snow I'll need to plow past the next few weeks.

hmmmm... a locker... I guess I can go through rubber twice as fast if I get one of those for it :eyes:

I have no idea, but will check when I pull the axles.

Within a few weeks I should have the entire donor stripped and cut up, since it appears to be 70 degrees and sunny on this fine March 8th :shocked: I'm guessing we won't have any significant snow I'll need to plow past the next few weeks.

you know as soon as you get the truck cut up were going to enter another iceage.

you know as soon as you get the truck cut up were going to enter another iceage.
are you saying hell will freeze over when I even get started on this project? :shiver:

Spent a good amount of time perusing the wiring diagrams in the 98 and 94 FSMs.

What I found out:
* the 94 ECU doesn't appear to have a CCD bus interface, at least not in the manner I am used to. It's OBD-I of course, and has the old style diagnostic port under the hood, and I can't find any reference to a CCD bus in its pinout. It has separate leads going to the instrument cluster for tach, VSS, oil pressure, temp, fuel level, etc, just as a 96 and earlier XJ ECU+IP does. So a 94 ECU (and probably others, Bloose said the 98 is the year you want, I'll trust him on that and assume 95-97 are also not CCD) would work nicely if you were swapping this drivetrain in and combining it with a 96 and earlier XJ/MJ interior, but that's not what I'm aiming for.
* the 98 ECU does appear to have a CCD bus interface, just like Bloose said. Fancy that!

So I'm going to investigate whether I can get my 98 5.2 Auto ECU reprogrammed to be a 98 5.9 Manual ECU. If I can, great, if I can't, off to eBay I go!

Side note: I am so used to there being a separate ECU and TCU that I tend to use those names. 2.5L XJs/MJs and (it seems) most Dodge vehicles have a single combined module that controls both, so PCM would be a more accurate term. If you see me say ECU in this thread, I mean PCM.

I'm going to use as many of the sensors and senders off the 94 powertrain as I can just to simplify wiring harness modification. My bet is that almost everything is the same with different connector shapes, similar to how XJ senders are mostly the same but change connector shapes around 95/96/97/98, but I'll have to verify this (for instance I know 91 through 01 XJ CPSes are all the same electrically, but have 3 different connectors over the years for some stupid reason.) In any case it will involve a lot of looking up part applications / year splits, so I'll probably end up knowing more about Dodge powertrain senders than I ever wanted to.

Spent a good amount of time perusing the wiring diagrams in the 98 and 94 FSMs.

What I found out:
* the 94 ECU doesn't appear to have a CCD bus interface, at least not in the manner I am used to. It's OBD-I of course, and has the old style diagnostic port under the hood, and I can't find any reference to a CCD bus in its pinout. It has separate leads going to the instrument cluster for tach, VSS, oil pressure, temp, fuel level, etc, just as a 96 and earlier XJ ECU+IP does. So a 94 ECU (and probably others, Bloose said the 98 is the year you want, I'll trust him on that and assume 95-97 are also not CCD) would work nicely if you were swapping this drivetrain in and combining it with a 96 and earlier XJ/MJ interior, but that's not what I'm aiming for.
* the 98 ECU does appear to have a CCD bus interface, just like Bloose said. Fancy that!

So I'm going to investigate whether I can get my 98 5.2 Auto ECU reprogrammed to be a 98 5.9 Manual ECU. If I can, great, if I can't, off to eBay I go!

Side note: I am so used to there being a separate ECU and TCU that I tend to use those names. 2.5L XJs/MJs and (it seems) most Dodge vehicles have a single combined module that controls both, so PCM would be a more accurate term. If you see me say ECU in this thread, I mean PCM.

I'm going to use as many of the sensors and senders off the 94 powertrain as I can just to simplify wiring harness modification. My bet is that almost everything is the same with different connector shapes, similar to how XJ senders are mostly the same but change connector shapes around 95/96/97/98, but I'll have to verify this (for instance I know 91 through 01 XJ CPSes are all the same electrically, but have 3 different connectors over the years for some stupid reason.) In any case it will involve a lot of looking up part applications / year splits, so I'll probably end up knowing more about Dodge powertrain senders than I ever wanted to.

:confused:

Good luck.

The 94 id OBD-I and there is no CCD Bus on it. Get a 97+ ZJ engine harness, Same year Dakota PCM, and do the 97+ plus XJ interior swap. It is easy as hell. A Dak tank and sender from the same vintage will sort out all your fuel needs as well. It have been done a few times. Read up on it in detail on Comancheclub.

If you are dead set on doing the OBD-I ZJ harness, make sure there is no SKIM in the BCM. It will make you nuts trying to figure out why it will only run for 5 seconds then shut off.

The 94 id OBD-I and there is no CCD Bus on it. Get a 97+ ZJ engine harness, Same year Dakota PCM, and do the 97+ plus XJ interior swap. It is easy as hell. A Dak tank and sender from the same vintage will sort out all your fuel needs as well. It have been done a few times. Read up on it in detail on Comancheclub.

If you are dead set on doing the OBD-I ZJ harness, make sure there is no SKIM in the BCM. It will make you nuts trying to figure out why it will only run for 5 seconds then shut off.
the donor truck is a dodge 2500, not a ZJ... I am not dead set on an OBD-I ZJ harness or any ZJ harness for that matter. I wasn't sure if there would be a CCD bus, since 91 and later XJs/MJs have one. It doesn't seem to (as already discussed.)

I am going to do the 97+ (preferably 99+, with the HVAC blend door servo instead of the cable) interior swap.

Fuel sender woes don't worry me, I am going to build a module to convert any fuel sender to work with any gauge cluster / ECU anyways, since I don't like a fuel gauge that isn't 100% linear and most aren't even from the factory.

My real worry using a Dak ECU is that they are easy to find with an auto trans, and hard to find with a manual trans, at least around here. I don't feel like figuring out how to fake the existence of a Chrysler auto + all its sensors to keep the CEL off if I don't have to.

If you finish in 2016 it won't matter if your Cel is on :cheers:

By the time you get around to it, ill probably be ready to pull the dash and harness and stuff outta black jeep. Ill let you know when to come pick it all up.

Back