• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 aw4 1st/2nd gear issues

xjclassic2000

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2001 limited 4.0L 2wd with an aw4 automatic. It has 131,500 miles and seems to be pretty well maintained . It has a problem where 1st gear is making a very loud whirring sound. (sorry, but thats the only way I can describe the sound). When it shifts into second gear, the sound is still there, but not nearly as loud. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, the sound is COMPLETELY gone. Does anyone have experience with this problem or know what it could be? I dont want to drive it in fear of causing further damage. The lady I bought it from said that before it happened, she was pulling into a parking spot and it jerked to a stop. when she tried to pull the rest of the way in, it jerked forward into the spot and she had it towed. Now it is making the sound. I tried to do a search, but wasn't able to find any threads covering this issue.
thanks

Have the tranny flushed and serviced. Its supposed to be done at least every 30,000 miles..If it still does it and it does result to be an expensive repair, i would try to find a junkyard swap very cheap and the aw4 is usually a very high mileage tranny. not to mention you have a 2wd so it will be easier to swap...hell, go nuts and just put a front differential in there and that ay you own a real jeep. -not something that gets stuck on flat wet grass.

Yeah, I was considering swapping in 4WD, especially since I already have a spare tranny for my 2000 Cherokee Classic 4x4, but the rest of the work wouldn't be worth it for me since I already have one thats a 4x4. I picked this one up for $1400 with the tranny problem and I'm just making it into a decent daily driver so I'm gonna keep it 2wd. I've replaced AW4's before so its not gonna be hard for me to replace it, I was just trying to see if it was something I needed to do before spending the time and money on it, or if it might be an easy fix. I checked the fluid and it seems fine, but Im gonna drop the pan and have a look. I just need to find a good used one I guess. Just to confirm, the exact interchanging transmissions would be any 98-01 cherokee 2wd right? I hear those years have slightly different wiring.

sounds right to me....Honestly though even though the aw4 is reliable as hell...I hate it.If I were you I'd put a turbo 350 or something that just shifts with fluid pressure not all those stupid solenoids, and the vulnerable neutral safety switch.

Back