• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee Sport - RR Window Not Working

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
I'm really confused here.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be seeing for voltage ... or what the connectors are supposed to do.

Can someone help me!

The window tries to go up (but it's already up). It won't go down, I don't hear the motor attempt to do anything to go down. I hear it try to go up.

To start - the switch has 5 wires to it
Yellow (12V Source)
Gray/Black -
Gray
Green/White
Green

On the DRIVERS SIDE they have the following values
Yellow- 12v
Gray/Black -.2v
Gray
Green/White .2v
Green

On the PASSENGER SIDE
Yellow- 12v
Gray/Black -.1v
Gray
Green/White 0v
Green

First thing I did was switch sides on the switch after verifying that they functioned the same. That was a no-go. It does not try to go down.

I ran a continuity check on these and found:
UP - Yellow is connected to Gray
Down - Yellow is collected to Green

This is the first thing that confuses me. What are the Green/White, Gray/Black wires for? The continuity check of the switch tells me that these don't do anything?

When I tried to put the switch both up and down ... I end up with POSITIVE voltage on both the solid Green and Gray. This I do not understand.

I wanted to juper from the solid yellow right to the regulator to make sure the regulator was not the problem. I can't jumper either side to make the window go up or down. So really confused now.

Help!?

Does it work with the driver master switch?
A failed master switch can/will cause the other windows to not function properly.

Same behavior from the master switch - I can hear it trying to go up ... but it can't since it is already up ... but it won't go down.

If only one passenger window does not work, the problem is likely at that door itself. If none of the passenger windows work, the problem is likely at the drivers door master switch or wire harness.

Do the all the wires to the problem door have continuity from body wire harness, to switch, to window motor ? Perform a physical inspection of the wire harness and the wire plugs. Look the usual suspects, chafed wire insulation, damaged/broken wires, corrosion, and damaged or dislodged pins in the plug assemblies.

The power window motor has two wires. Apply ground and power to them one way and the motor moves, reverse the power/ground and the motor moves in reverse. So your probing shows 12 volts constant and the two circuits that swap the power and ground back and forth using the switch.

From a separate power source, apply 12 volts positive and ground directly to the power window motor wires to test the motor function for up/down.

Last edited:
If only one passenger window does not work, the problem is likely at that door itself. If none of the passenger windows work, the problem is likely at the drivers door master switch or wire harness.

Do the all the wires to the problem door have continuity from body wire harness, to switch, to window motor ? Perform a physical inspection of the wire harness and the wire plugs. Look the usual suspects, chafed wire insulation, damaged/broken wires, corrosion, and damaged or dislodged pins in the plug assemblies.

The power window motor has two wires. Apply ground and power to them one way and the motor moves, reverse the power/ground and the motor moves in reverse. So your probing shows 12 volts constant and the two circuits that swap the power and ground back and forth using the switch.

From a separate power source, apply 12 volts positive and ground directly to the power window motor wires to test the motor function for up/down.

I posted voltage of all 5 wires going to the switch on both sides in the first post.

I can't jumper or operate the window regulator of either rear window myself ... not sure why I can't figure that one out.

Back