• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

~2000 - ~2006(ish) Gran Cherokee info please

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
I have a mild interest in Grand Cherokee's - 8 Cyl - any trans (if they come in stick / auto flavors)

Where do I start getting up to speed on which models are OK and which are to be wary of?

It appears that there is a great influx in the North West Desert (inter mountain NW) in the $10,000 range with 60K - 80K mile range.

My 1989 XJ has 317,000 miles and is starting to rattle it self apart - we also have two grandchildren that are growing, and there getting shoulder to shoulder in the back of the X - the Grand Cherokee appears to have quite a bit more room....

Anyway - looking for Grand info (feel free to pipe up here too if you have good info too) on line.

* * Edit * *
I guess specifically -
Are they worth, good on wear and tear, trans issues, cooling issues, etc etc etc al the things we yak about here helping one and other out with our maintenance issues - that's what I'm looking for on GC's

Thanks all.

I just bought a New to me 2004 GC. Got it for $10k w/76k miles. I spent about 3 months researching and filtering the right kind of GC.

Check out this website: wjjeeps.com

Anything you wanna know about them is there. Also check out Nagca.com

Only thing I would like to upgrade on my WJ is the t-case. I don't like the fact that its in 4hi all the time. I want to switch in the 242HD found in 01-03 V8 Laredos standard.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

The model you are looking for is the WJ.. Great jeeps, Nothing really to worry about, I personally like the 02-04 Limiteds the best..

We have a 2004 WJ also...4 wheel drive. Never had any problem with it at all. We picked it up for about $14000 with about 45,000 on the clock a couple years back. I've enjoyed it. I'd get another one.

I do think that the ZJ has more comfortable seats than the WJ and I don't really like that there is no door key lock hole on the passenger side or the tailgate of the WJ. I only carry a remote for my XJ, so I don't have 3 remotes in my pocket all the time.

I also own a 1996 ZJ and have owned a 1994 ZJ. I have never driven the V8 WJ, but can tell you that my '94 with the V8 was a powerful little truck. I have also driven the 2010 and the 2011 Grand Cherokees as rental cars and really liked them, except I can't figure out where the hell to turn on the 4wd. Creature comforts are there and they are more spacious than my ZJ. About the same as my WJ. I had a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited as a rental car in Colorado in 2005. It was a 6 cylinder and I felt it was pretty puny on the mountain drives. I had a 2000 WJ Laredo as a rental in 2000 also in Colorado and put about 1200 miles on it and didn't have the same issues I had with that 2005 on the same basic terrain. I also had a 1999 WJ Laredo as a rental car in 1999 for a drive from Nashville to Indianapolis. That, of course, was the first year of the WJ and I really didn't enjoy that Jeep. Perhaps it was because it was such a departure from the ZJ.

I really don't think you will go wrong with a WJ. They are good trucks and will do what you need them to do.

And, incidentally, in your original post, you mentioned the transmission. The Grand Cherokee was offered with a 5 speed manual in 1993 only. I have only run across 1 of them for sale and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Advertised on E-bay for $2500. Should have grabbed it!

Good luck, and post up pictures of your new purchase

2002 WJ Limited:

I got ride of my WJ when it got to 100,000 miles. I was starting to have issues with the little things. The cooling fans on the Limited 4.7 V8 engine are powered hydraulicly from the power steering pump (stupid design). The EMC - main computer went out a couple of times, which made the jeep unable to idle correctly. Jeep actually had a recall on the 2002 so they replaced the computer at around 80K.

You will really like the power from the 4.7. It can be fun to drive since it is AWD. It will hook up, even with 300 hp.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
Always good to know they are decent vehicles from the start and not plagued with year to year issues that no one can remedy.

Now beguines the process of finding "the one" and then convincing my self to take up a used car payment in this time of economy - when my last vehicle payment was in February 2000.

But again - thanks for the info and I'll be sure to troll around the forums philagony94xj listed.

RTFM

2002 WJ Limited:

I got ride of my WJ when it got to 100,000 miles. I was starting to have issues with the little things. The cooling fans on the Limited 4.7 V8 engine are powered hydraulicly from the power steering pump (stupid design). The EMC - main computer went out a couple of times, which made the jeep unable to idle correctly. Jeep actually had a recall on the 2002 so they replaced the computer at around 80K.

You will really like the power from the 4.7. It can be fun to drive since it is AWD. It will hook up, even with 300 hp.

Enjoy!

Some of them (early ones I think) were hydraulically driven fans. They went to electric fans sometime in 02 (my buddy's 02 4.7 H.O. has an electric fan).

They're really nice Jeeps, and make a great daily driver. Solid axles front and rear (although it's a CV axle set up on the front) and plenty of power with the 4.7. Of course don't be looking for outstanding MPG's, but i'm sure you already knew that!

One thing that sticks out, if you're going for a Limited model with all the goodies, they have issues with the blend doors for the dual automatic climate control (as did many other vehicles from many manufacturers around this time). Look to see if it's got any record of it being replaced, if not, be ready to replace it your self (pull the dash out) or pay a fair amount to have a shop do it. It's not one of those "if it goes" it's "when it goes".

Back