• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 row postal service radiator??

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
Well 1st off I know that there are a crap load of threads about radiator choices. My 1st question is... Is the stock 1998 radiator a 1 row? I can't check it right now because my wife has it right now. If so that's easy since Vatozone carries them all day for $129.00. But they also sell one for the postal service XJ's that is a steel & brass unit with 2 rows for $349.99. Im wondering if paying that much more will get me more significant cooling to justify the price. Has anyone else gone with the postal rad?? Thanks!

Neither one are a good choice... here is a better one get a CSF 3 core all metal radiator from Radiatorbarn.com its only $168 free shipping not including tax. I run one. It works good

Last I checked you can get an all metal 2 or 3 core for a LOT cheaper than $350. I think the most I ever paid for a 3 core was $200 +-.

Most likely the factory unit is a 1 core with plastic tanks.

Neither one are a good choice... here is a better one get a CSF 3 core all metal radiator from Radiatorbarn.com its only $168 free shipping not including tax. I run one. It works good

3 cores don't seem to cool very well when it's 120 degrees here in AZ, that's just more hot water to cool down. My stock one never got over 220 while crawling in the summer heat.

Here in southern Idaho 3 core doesnt work too well when you are crawling in the summer. I bought one with out really thinking about it but 3 core is more dense so harder to move air through at low speeds. Great for cruising and freeway though. I took mine out after one summer and put a two core in works much better for me.

But they also sell one for the postal service XJ's that is a steel & brass unit with 2 rows for $349.99. Im wondering if paying that much more will get me more significant cooling to justify the price. Has anyone else gone with the postal rad?? Thanks!

The postal XJs are RHD. A RHD rad will not work in a LHD XJ.

I went with the all metal 2 row from radiatorbarn.com that derrickdrew17 suggested. Although he said a 3 row, everyone in southern AZ knows that 3 rows overheat your sh!t faster than 1 or 2 rows due to their density. unless of course you have 2 aftermarket electric fans or some sh!t. I'll just epoxy the pinhole shut in my OEM until the new one comes. Thanks for the help guys!!

um, yah. quite a few of us here in AZ run a 3 core. i am one of them and it quite well for me.

Yall have something wrong if a 3 core makes your XJ run hotter than a 2core.. I would not wheel in 120 degree temp anyway.. that's stupid hot

Well if there is something wrong its fine with the 2 core. and its not the wheeling its, using 4 low and creeping around and on obstacles for several hours, 3 core just doesn't work for that. Thats been my experience. 95-100 deg heat not 120 here.

Last edited:
Yall have something wrong if a 3 core makes your XJ run hotter than a 2core.. I would not wheel in 120 degree temp anyway.. that's stupid hot

No, it's awesome.

64L5v.jpg

The hottest temperature I've actually seen on that thing is 128degF, but that's the highest I've got a photograph of.

Back to the regularly-scheduled thread.

Back