• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 inch Budget Boost

xjmania123 said:
I just came across Rubicon Expresses 2" lift kit. Does anyone know much about these?

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/231.html

I actually like the rocky road plan for a 2" lift better than the re. Add a leafs and shocks. hmmmm. But, it does depend. Do you like the way you leafs are feeling now, or do you want to firm 'em up a bit? The add a leaf will stiffen your ride. And typically supple is good - stiff is bad.

The 1 1/2 inch shackle will put more stress on your leafs, that's why a 1" shackle and a 1" block would be worth considering. Rather than the 1 1/2" shackle and the 1/2" block.

Truth is, for a 2" lift, any of these setups will work fine. Just go for the best value, which is short blocks, shackles, and spacers. If you buy the re 1" shackle you'll probably have it forever. For example if you want to go higher someday and buy a whole new leaf pack you'll still use that shackle. No wasted money there.

31" tires will fit fine - no need to trim your fenders.

31s is kinda pushing it for no trimming tdr1213

I have a RC 3" kit with americanracing wheels at 3.75" backspacing and i rub alot. I trimmed the front and relocated stock flares and trimmed very minor in the back. I still rub te inner wheelwell while articulating.Proper bumpstops should do the job.

Another vote for the rock lizzard recipe! I shopped for used parts, got a deal on springs and shocks. That guy was ready to go bigger, I'll have to win the lotto first. LOL

I will not re-gear my axles, a 30" tire is tall enough for my intended use. I have a '90 with a High Pinion front axle. I have heard that the low pinion axle is not so forgiving, it may need further mods. For that much grief you should consider going big.

More food for thought:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

http://go.jeep-xj.info/

Hey- I was curious if I got the RE 3.5 Super-ride lift, would I be required to buy a new longer driveshaft? If so, is there any cheaper alternatives than to pay $400-600 for a new driveshaft? I've heard of shims, are they related to changing the degree your driveshaft is in, in comparison to how the driveshaft sits to the new lifted vehicle? Thx!

xjmania123 said:
Hey- I was curious if I got the RE 3.5 Super-ride lift, would I be required to buy a new longer driveshaft? If so, is there any cheaper alternatives than to pay $400-600 for a new driveshaft? I've heard of shims, are they related to changing the degree your driveshaft is in, in comparison to how the driveshaft sits to the new lifted vehicle? Thx!

my guess.....going to 3.5, you'll need a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft.

Yes, the shims do change the degree of the driveshaft, well actually the pinion on the differential, which connects to the driveshaft, thus changing the angle. Get to the height you want and then figure out which shim will best sets your driveline to the appropriate angles. BTW (you may know this) this shims go on the leaf spring pads, between the spring and the pad. Understand though, different types of driveshafts have different needs for shimming.

xjmania123 said:

If you are 96 and below, you wont need to do much do your DS. 97+, you might have issues... maybe.

I have a RoughCountry 4.5" lift on my '92 XJ (new coils, add-a-leaf, new shocks, drop shackles) came with transfer case drop spacers. Have not had any problems with rear driveshaft and do not have a SYE, just stock DS.
'92 XJ, 4.5"lift, 4.0L, D30 lockrite, Chrysler 8.25, 33x12.50x15 Bias TSL's, 15x10 Aero Race Beadlocks w/2" BS, 201k miles

Back