• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

actually i was thinking that the hinges on the 2dr would be more prone to the sag effect than the 4dr ones. as the doors on the 2dr are heavier then the 4dr model.
that's what I was saying... read it again

From MY personal experience: I owned a 97 two door, and a young-ling, it wasn't that big of a pain. Regretfully traded in for a 99 four door when 2nd young-ling was arriving flopped it, bout 97 four door. Traveled across PA with 4 grown men in the two door and I was the shortest guy at 5' 7" and nobody complained of lack of room. Now in my 97 four door it seems as though even the wee ones are appear to be slightly crammed in the back seat. I regret getting rid of the two door not only because it truly was sexy but I think it would have been more manageable than I had anticipated. But, all in all that is just my .02, use it how you will.

Have owned both. I prefer 2door, but currently own a 4 door. For the price I paid.. not a big deal.
99% of the time I do not have anyone in the back. Never had to ride in the back seat in any of mine, but have in others.. Not fun! But it is a little easier with the 2 door IMO.

Another thing is that the 2 door doors are heavy as hell if you ever plan on going doorless especially if it has power options.

Chicks dig 2 doors.
Children dig 4.

Agreed.

I've had my fair share of both. Right now I have two 2-doors and with the 8 year old, the height is far more of a hassle than the number of doors. It's impossible for her to climb in on her own without getting filthy. Luckily I can still easily pick her up. I'm hoping her ability to get in cleanly will advance faster than her weight...

Of course, mama does most of the carting around and if we go anywhere as a family, we take her car.

If I had a kid too young to buckle their own restraint, I'd hate my life.

I had both. My 90 was a 2 door and it had rectangular vent windows. I thought that was baller. But I hated climbing into the back to take a nap because the front seat could not recline down like my 98 can.

I owned a '99 4 door, then bought a '99 2 door as a DD. I figured I would give it a try, and maybe it was just because that Jeep was a POS, but I really didn't like the 2 door as much. There was quite a gap between the mirror and the B pillar when trying to shade the sun (my route to work would make one stretch a very annoying drive). I'm sure it was because I was so used to grabbing the seatbelt in a 4 door for 4 years, but I always had to stretch or consciously try to find the seatbelt. Not the easiest to access stuff in the rear seat either, but wasn't too horrible. My next DD was a 4 door.

I find more utility in the four door. It's easier to access the rear seat areas for carrying stuff and you can get to the front of the cargo area easier, IMO. In parking lots, the shorter front doors of the four door are easier to manage. I also believe the reduced stress on the hinges of the shorter, lighter front doors is a good thing.

I've never been in the back of either of my XJs, but I frequently tote people around. It seems the larger people think the 2door was easier since the 4 doors doors are so skinny. I never had a problem getting to anything in the back of my 2door either. The only benefit to the 4 door is you don't have to get out if you're letting people in. I think the sexiness far outweights any other benefits gained by the 4 door.

When i was looking for jeeps i found a good deal on a 2 door. I really wanted a 4 door. I wasn't sure i would like it at all but i bought it anyway. Needless to say i love my 2 door. I like the look a lot better then 4 doors but thats just a matter of opinion. I love the bigger passenger and driver windows. I take people everywhere with me, and obviously its not as convenient as a 4 door, but i have found that its not bad at all. Its much easier to get in to then my friends wrangler ;)

This question comes up from time to time and I haven't read every word, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Two doors look nice, and if you're tall you get better side visibility, as well as, perhaps easier entry. On older ones, the seats may be a weak spot and need repair. The door bottoms of two doors tend to rot out in a way that, for some reason, those of four doors do not. They are also more susceptible to door hinge separation and failure (you can find lots of threads here on that and its cures). If you are getting lower-line models, you may find the two door a bit skiimpy in the ventilation department, because it has no opening windows in the rear.

If I were shopping for another Jeep I'd look seriously at two doors, but be very careful to survey the condition of the doors and hinges, because they don't stand up as well to abuse. On the flip side, if you are good at welding, a hinge-sprung 2-door could be a great bargain.

i love my two door and im a big guy at 6"2 250 so its comfy compared to my friends 4 door. i really am not concerned with my passengers comfort. the joke i have always heard is that 4 doors are for taxis lol

Cheers!

If you have to replace the Power window regulators the two dr are only available from Mopar!!! Over 230.00 each!! Four doors are available aftermarket for less than 100.00.

Seat swap options are limited unless they fold forward.

I have a 1999 2dr. and other than those things I prefer it. Been the best XJ I have owned so far!

Back