• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.0L VW questions

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a lot of reading lately regarding these engines, older/newer no matter what they are in, they seem to burn oil. VW says; 1L every 1000miles, 2-3L each oil change, upto 5L per oil change, depending where the info is coming from... mine said 2L was normal at first, now that I've moved upto 4L they say thats excessive but still within tolerable levels. Oil is changed, as per VW, every 16,000km's.

Tomorrow it goes in for its 80,000km oil change, and they will be doing an "oil consumption test" after it being brought in just over 1000km's ago. I have mentioned this problem 1/2 dozen times over the last 2+ years of owning it, and they are just now deciding to run this test, which is difficult for me to understand how they are performing... "oil consumption test" unless your draining it each time how can you tell consumption? even then how do you know it's out of each galley/channel/etc?

Anyway, other than the obvious oil burning I've noticed these symptoms aswell;
if I remove the oil fill cap it instantly changes idle, and
there is a large volume of air escaping from the hole.
this to me would be either a piston rings &/or valve seal problem.

Unfortunately I am dropping the car off before opening, going to work and will have to call in to talk to them.
Any ideas/experience/thoughts on what I can do/say to get this problem fixed sooner, rather than dealing with the run-around that I've read about so many people experiencing.

Thanks for any and all help.

The only engine I've ever heard that oil consumption is 'normal' is a rotary. In a piston driven engine in theory, it should be sealed and not consume any oil, or a minimal hardly measurable amount. a liter every 1k miles seems a bit excessive and I know I'd be worried if it was my car.

go take a look at www.vwvortex.com you will find the info you seek there. Also note that on certain years (early 2000 IIRC) the oil control rings on the pistons, were installed upside down, by the factory. VW as usual tried to not make it their problem by saying that up to 1 quart ever 1k miles is normal. WHich everyone knows is not the case for anything but hey, did we really think they were going to own up to an issue that would cost them millions to fix?

The dub 2.0 gasser in the mid90s+ is a POS. If I were you I would sell it while you can.

Well I brought the car in today, this is what they had to say;
the oil consumption test said 250ml was burned in just over 1300kms... my changes are every 16000kms so that means just about 3L of oil are going to be burned between changes.

The service guy first said there should be suction when the oil cap is removed, but when I told him their is compressed air moving OUT, he changed his tune to "well I'm not the tech, I'll mention that to him" which turned to "ya, we looked at another car just like yours, and the same thing is happening"

anyway the car still has over 2 years of warranty, so I am not worried too much about it right now, but I will be following up on this each time my oil light comes on. I'll bring it in to them to top up, and they can continue doing the "consumption test" so I have some documentation of how much is being used.

On a side note, I asked for documentation stating VW's position on exactly how much oil "should" be burned, how much is within spec... really I just want something that says "ya these POS burn A LOT of oil... sorry"
The service guy said he'd try and track down something like that.

Back