• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st time visiting salvage yard ( what to bring )

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
never been to a JY and was wondering how the whole thing works.. i will bring basic tools, my question is do i take the parts off and then take them to the front desk and ask how much? what if they want to much do i haggle them down?

any tips would be appreciated

and i will be going to the 2 junkyards on BEACH BL

thanks

you're not going to have much luck haggling, if you want to know how much something is ask first before you waste your time pulling it, then go back to the same person you talked to.

i always bring a buddy, but if you don't WATCH YOUR TOOLS. there's a lot of shady people at the yard if your tools are out of arms reach its very possible they'll get picked up and walked off with.

That's pretty much how it works.

Don't leave your tools unattended. Don't get run over by a forklift carrying an Econoline. Don't buy the warranty. Don't wear clothes that you want to keep. Be prepared for a pat down/anal probe at the gate.

Bring a trash bag to cover your seat so you don't get junkyard grease all over your XJ on the way home.

Last edited:
Make sure your tool bag doesn't have any parts in it before you enter the yard.

Most of the time they have a price/parts list posted up so you can check how much a part is before you pull it.

I normally try to bring with me into the yard;
*Basic tool set in a sturdy backpack or optionally a 5 gallon bucket
*Dolly to set tools/parts on (in case you find something like a D44 axle)
*Box of gloves
*Bottle or 2 of water
*Cloth I don't care if get soaked in various automotive/bodily fluids, optionally invest in a jumpsuit
*A buddy to help you divide and conquer.

What I'll keep in the jeep when junkyarding
*Bigger sockets and breaker bar/pry bar
*Electric impact
*Waterless hand cleaner (even with gloves your going to get filthy)
*Roll of shop towels
*Bottles of water for drinking and rinsing hands
*Trash bags to protect the back of my jeep and my seats

As for pricing, avoid an LKQ owned yards, they tend to charge an arm and a leg for everything. Ex. $180 for a Renix ecu and the price of a whole engine harness for a single connector that I cut off of it. http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/

Tip: If you need to get under a vehicle, go rip the headliner out of a van or another large vehicle to lay on. I've even used the bottom part of a back seat for extra comfort.

bring something with wheels (we use a radio flyer) to haul your tools/small parts around with.

most yards I have been to have carts you can borrow for large parts.

loose hoods are great for sliding t-cases/trans/axles out from under a rig.

$2 and safety glasses so you dont get shards in your eye while breaking windows and mirrors off with tire irons.

It also helps if you know of any specialty tools that are required for getting the parts you need.

I have been bummed because I didn't have the T30 torx bit required in order to get to a door handle.

Depends on what you are looking for.

You can do a lot with two screwdrivers, a crescent wrench, and a pair of dikes.

breaker bar, small sledge, long screwdriver, cold chisel, pb blaster or similar, wire brush (helps to clean the threads on something you're trying to remove (sucks getting stuck on rust!), nut splitter...

First, check the website of the yard you are planning to visit. All the ones around us have their pricing sheets listed on the website. I print them out and carry them with me, so that when I'm in the yard, if I find something I can reference price immediately (or book mark their webpage on your phone).

Like mentioned, bring some dollar bills. Most yards will charge $2.00 to get in. All the yards around me have either carts or wheelbarrows on the yard, so unless they are all being used, you shouldn't have an issue with that.

I usually stock my bag with a standard socket set, a set of screwdrivers ranging from stubby to 18 inches, a set of lock tights, a paint scraper, a wire cutter, a set of gloves, a steel pipe breaker bar, and an 18" ratchet with appropriate adapter.

Then, the night before I go, if I know what I am looking for, I will check my XJ in the garage and see if there might be any specific items I need to pull my part - maybe a torx driver, maybe an allen wrench, maybe a deep socket head, maybe a tiny ratchet with shallow socket heads, maybe a crowbar.

If it has been raining, I will usually carry a tarp, or a large sheet of plastic to lay down on. Depending on what you are pulling, you may want to bring a towel also. However, if my hands get messy, I usually just find a mini-van and wipe them on the seat.

Don't forget anything visable in your car in the parking lot will be stolen, too.. and then there's that pesky window they broke to get to it.

Just remember you don't rule the wasteland.

Don't forget anything visable in your car in the parking lot will be stolen, too.. and then there's that pesky window they broke to get to it.

Just remember you don't rule the wasteland.

Well at least if that happens you can go grab another out of the junkyard and install it in the parking lot.

bring a translator unless you are fluent in spanish, not being racist just plain fact. Good luck on the haggle part. Oh bring XJohnnyC he is a pro..

Haha. You're the pro with your cordless impact. What's our record, pulling three Dana 44s in one day?

And you're just sore because you got banned from one of the Anaheim yards.

Back