• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ For Sale - $2,900

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

It's time for me to sale my XJ. Before I go into the details of it, I will give a little history. It does have some issues. However, I think it will make sense if I give some background.

I bought it from a dealership in 2003. I believe I'm the 2nd owner. After a couple of years, it became my off-roading vehicle and I had a different daily driver. A couple of years ago, I started encountering some health challenges. Now, I can no longer work on it, let alone drive it for any prolong period of time.

All the dents came from one particular Calico trip. JohnX can attest to this. ;) . At the time, I didn't care about the looks. However, I got to the point where I wanted it looking nice again. I replaced the rear driver door and have replacements for all the other doors, including the hatch (See Pics).

I trimmed the fenders and the rear quarter panels. The rear fenders are as wide as you can go (See Pics). I installed TJ rear flares on the front and rear. I didn't get around to re-installing the rear driver flare. I also didn't go back and paint the wheel well.

The head needs to be rebuilt because it has a knock. Sometimes I don't hear it, but it can get loud when it's cold out. It's coming from the cylinder valve 3 or 4. I think it will cost no more than $400 for a replacement head.

Those are the two major things that need to be fixed. There are some other little things like the driver door window switch needs to be replaced, which I have and will go with the Jeep.

The Jeep comes with a lot of parts and I will try to list them all. You can also look at the pictures. Everything you see that is Jeep related in the pictures, go with the XJ.

Parts - replacement doors and hatch, driver door panel and switch, front skid plate, transfer case skid plate, gas tank skid plate, OEM tow hooks, stock springs & shocks, one good stock track bar (the other is so so), stock control arms, a dana 44 carrier & gears, after market motor mounts, 231 output shafts, stock headlights, trail spare steering components, axle shims with in various degrees, and all the other stuff you see in the pics.

Now for the Jeep details. 211k miles. 231 transfer case. Automatic. When I swapped out axles, I forgot if I put the 27 or 29 spline back in it. It has a mix matched 4" lift with RE adjustable uppers and RE fixed lowers. RE shocks with a RE/Stock bastard pack leaf springs. RE track bar. It installed the Durango steering box with a steering brace. It has the 2 speed Taurus fan. 30" BFG All terrains. HID headlights. Lock Rite front locker.

I think I covered almost everything. Please keep in mind that the only reason it's in the condition it's in is because I physically can't work on it anymore and because it's very uncomfortable for me to drive. I have to pay people to work on my cars now. I really hope that this goes to someone who will get the most out of it.

$2,900 if you do the smog. $3,000 if you want me to do the smog. Please don't low ball me. If you think I'm way off the mark, please contact me and let me know. The money will either go into buying me another car or paying someone to fix my '55 Chevy.

Thanks,
Elias
aka "E"
213-TwoEightZero-4105

A Ton of Pics.
20140705_183337

20140705_183235

20140705_183244 by eliasj123, on Flickr

20140705_183255 by eliasj123, on Flickr

20140705_183331 by eliasj123, on Flickr

20140705_183343 by eliasj123, on Flickr
14397272880_3fc1925ae6_s.jpg

Hey,

I plan on doing a EFI V8/tranny combo conversion. I'm evaluating how to do it. It might be the least expensive to buy a early to late 90's Chevy and have a shop do the conversion.

I have a few another things I need to do. However, the money from the Jeep will be put towards the conversion.

I'm open to options to help me get a fuel injection V8, with a 3 speed w/OD, in my '55.

hmmm.. I also thought about putting a 200R4 or 700 behind my current 6 cylinder and just installing fuel injection.

I'm all ears.

E

Oh yeah. I will not be parting out the Jeep and as it stands right now, all the parts will be going with the Jeep. If the buyer doesn't want the parts, then I will post them up.

E

OMG, you have fan shroud that isn't broken? If you do end up selling parts, I got dibs on the fan shroud.

I guess I wasn't clear - No Dibs on the parts.

I am in no position to keep track of who wants what or who claimed what.

Nor do I have any intentions of selling the parts separately.

1.Install the fuel injected I6 you already have into the.chevy, part out rig
2.?????
3. Profit

Hey.

I was actually going to install fuel injection on the 6 and a 3 speed tranny w/OD. However, that route would cost about $4,500 just for the parts (New Fuel injection kit = $2,000, New Tranny with the adapter plate & parts = $2,500) . I can find a good running GM car or truck from $2k to $3k. I have no idea what the labor cost for either rout

I'm open to the idea of matting a 200R4 tranny behind the 6 IF someone can turn the my current carb or install a new 2bbl carb. I can't seem to get my Rochester single barrel carb to run right, even though I rebuilt it a couple of times.

In the long run, it seems cheaper just get a donor car and transplant it..

E

Elias,

I was saying use the jeep 4.0 as your donor. You already know it works, and has OD.\

Unless you just cant stomach the idea of having your chevy powered by mopar stuff.

plenty of LS motors in the junk yards if you want to go that route. (which i would suggest). always think about the resale value of a project vehicle even when you think you will want to keep it forever, things change. and an LS chevy motor is the preferred swap in most custom builds these days. plus they are easy to install with both factory and aftermarket parts and devices. not to mention you can easily get 400 HP from a properly tuned factory LS engine without even opening up the engine. Mopar 4.0 in a 55 chevy? most would pass on if you tried to sell it.

Elias,

I was saying use the jeep 4.0 as your donor. You already know it works, and has OD.\

Unless you just cant stomach the idea of having your chevy powered by mopar stuff.

Ahh. Gotcha.. Lately, I've been needing for things to be spelled out for me. After re-reading your post, it made sense what you suggested. I wish it was that easy.

My '55 stalled in the freeway yesterday because of the carb.. Now... it won't start his morning.. errrrr. hasta

plenty of LS motors in the junk yards if you want to go that route. (which i would suggest). always think about the resale value of a project vehicle even when you think you will want to keep it forever, things change. and an LS chevy motor is the preferred swap in most custom builds these days. plus they are easy to install with both factory and aftermarket parts and devices. not to mention you can easily get 400 HP from a properly tuned factory LS engine without even opening up the engine. Mopar 4.0 in a 55 chevy? most would pass on if you tried to sell it.

I'm with you on this. I've had it for 23 years.. It will be handed down to one of my sons. The reason I was leaning toward a donor car was so that I can see how it runs and drives. Do they sell tranny's and engine/tranny combos too?? Any idea how much a motor cost?

I think I'm going to go with the GEN II because it pretty much drops in. The oil pan and something else needs to be changed or modified. Either way, I'm open.

Sorry, I guess I should have used some emoticons, that was a joke (mostly).

It's totally cool. I also got a couple of PM's calling dibs on parts. After that, I realized that I was not too clear on it. I know that you didn't mean anything by it.

The reason being is because I don't have the time nor the mental and physical energy to sell the parts individually.

My life is about to be turned upside down. :anon:

E

Price Dropped to $2,450.

I sold the wheels to my dad and put some stock rollers on it. I also attached the rear driver's flare.

14692354661_919eb3fb8d.jpg

One last bump

$1,950.

I probably made the head tapping noise sound more of an issue than it is. It can be heard heard when it's really cold, like below 55 degrees. Anywho, I know for a fact that it's the head and not the cylinders.

If it doesn't sell this weekend, it will probably go to the salvage yard or be donated.

This might be the last time I update this thread or log on for a long time. So, text me.

Thanks,
E

Please don't insult me with offers like that. I would rather get the tax benefit out of it.

I don't need the $300 that badly. In fact, I was going to give it to a family memeber, but they all have Jeeps.

Back