• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4.0 Cherokee Engine Stalling

tarwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Posting for a friend that is having problems with 4.0 that will start, drive fine -then stall. Will sit for a while and then restart and drive fine, until it happens again. He has taken it to the dealer with no improvement in situation. As an old Jeep owner, I assume this is normal for this year and engine, but am unfamiliar with anything newer than 1969. What's up??? Thanks for the help.

Sounds to me like a bad TPS (throttle position sensor). Just a guess. Both our cherokees have experienced similar problems both fixed with a new TPS. About $50 for 97+ and only $30 up to 96'. If it doesnt fix the problem then you have a spare for WHEN it goes bad. Good luck.

Gas Filter?

I bought my 98 used. It had a similar problem but really only acted up when on an extended drive. Then would drive fine to work - 15 minute trip- for days on end with no problem. Finally after it barely made it back from a 300 mile trip I pulled the tank and removed the pump and filter assembly. There are two filters. One is a very fine multilayer screen on the pump inlet. The other is after the pump. The inlet screen was totally plugged with very fine rust - would not wash out with carb cleaner but came out with soap and water. You have to get or fabricate a big spanner wrench to tighten the ring holding the pump. I had to use a Dremel tool to cut the old ring off. In any case you should replace the seal ring on the pump case.

staticrevolution said:
Sounds to me like a bad TPS (throttle position sensor). Just a guess. Both our cherokees have experienced similar problems both fixed with a new TPS. About $50 for 97+ and only $30 up to 96'. If it doesnt fix the problem then you have a spare for WHEN it goes bad. Good luck.

Close but no cigar :) I have a 98XJ and have had the same exact problem. After it stalls, it throws no codes, but if you wait for about 10~15 minutes it will restart as though nothing has happened...... In any case, I replaced the CPS and since then I haven't experienced any problems. Btw, when my TPS started going bad, it did throw codes that triggered the Check Engine light.....

Oh... and to confirm it's CPS, disconnect the CPS connector and try cranking it to see if it does the same thing as when it stalls out on you. Some people say to just clean the connector and wait with the replacement, but if you look at the connector on the 98XJ you will see that it's nice, clean and not oxidized. Even though the unplugging and plugging it in might make your XJ start immediately it's not the solution, as what you're probably doing is only resetting the sensor input into the comp.....

staticrevolution said:

Where can you get a TPS for $30. bucks? Let me know , because I have to replace mine, and the cheapest I have found is $70. bucks for my 90 xj. :repair:

It was either the local AZ or Napa cant remember which one I went to for it unless I went to both? I just remembered that mine was 50 something and our other one was 30. I would just suggest calling around for price quotes, or go to a junkyard spend 20 bucks for 4 of them and hope one is good!
Alan

Back