• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 ZJ Seats in 1997 XJ

The rear lower seat brackets required slots cut into the bulkhead on the uni-body. The seat cushion brackets have guide arms which rotate through these slots to ensure the hinges engage properly. Measuring for all of this was the most time consuming part of this conversion.

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

Last edited:
The upper seat brackets were easier. I just had to drill 6 holes and install the 3 brackets: 2 side, 1 center. Didn't have to cut the carpet much, just slid them under where the old brackets were.

IMG_7064.JPG

IMG_7066.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

IMG_7071.JPG

IMG_7069.JPG

Last edited:
The seat cushions were too wide and too deep. I cut away some plastic with a dremel and trimmed the foam with a hacksaw. I also relocated the hinge brackets back a few inches. The brackets wouldn't engage and hinge into place straight without a semi-circle cut away from the plastic seat bottom to clear the transmission tunnel.

IMG_6965.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6971.JPG

2012-07-28_14-27-42_583.jpg

IMG_7088.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

that looks amazing i have to do that ! are there particular years that work ? would it be at all possable to shorten them so there not so tall?

Last edited:
I wasn't going to originally, because the salvage yard up here charged $250 for both fronts alone, and wanted another $500 for the ZJ adjustment rails/motors!

Wow...just wow....seats with motor are $35 a piece at my local yard.

However, you did a very nice job with the install. I like it. If I wasn't 6'6" and already worn a hole in the headliner with the top of my noggin, this is an upgrade I would consider. I like the seats in my ZJ considerably better than those in either my XJ or WJ.

Yeah, parts are expensive here in Canada, even at the salvage yard.

Thanks for the praise, I was hoping someone would think I did a nice job!

The back seats look great! You are right, salvage yards up here in Canada are a better price but not the deal you are looking for. I've tried Craigslist used parts south of the border and there are some deals but I'm wondering has anyone headed down to salvage yards in States? I can't see any issues with bringing used parts across the border if you do indeed find something but who knows what the regs are.

Back