• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 xj defroster problem

jdjeep

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I set the control knob on defrost and all was working fine. Then I turned the blower up to max and heard a loud pop (like a hose blowing loose) After that, no more air came out of the defrost vents (although you can still hear air coming out somewhere behind the dash). All of the other settings of the air control knob function, directing air to the dash vents or floor vent. And air is blowing somewhere, just not out of the defrost vent. So I think this is not a vacum issue, but something else. Any ideas?
thanks
Jeff

I actually have the exact same problem, so I am going to keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully someone has a good cheap fix for this so I can take care of it before winter.

.... and heard a loud pop (like a hose blowing loose) After that, no more air came out of the defrost vents (although you can still hear air coming out somewhere behind the dash).....

Sounds like you identified the issue, the defroster hose popping off the vent duct.

Thanks Sorpion. Where exactly is the hose connection and how do I access it? Can't find any info on this in my Chilton repair manual.
Jeff

I hate to say this but a 97 has no hoses. The mode door is broken or vacuum actuator has failed. Make sure you can go from floor to vents. If you can that means your suppied vacuum is good. My 97 snapped the arm off the defroster door. I found a junkyard heater box and put that in. All parts for the doors are discountined I'm told. It must be for a 97 or a early 98 as the temp door went from cable to a eletric actuator. Vacuum harness may have to changed out too. Dash will have to come out to change the box. Or you can door what I did for a winter, I bent a coat hanger and shoved it down the defroster vent to open the door.

guys, i had this issue and it wasn't the arm popped out of the door, it was the plastic "stud" that goes through the box onto the door had snapped in half. rammed a coat hanger down in the defroster for now to keep the door open at full blower power... not sure how much good that's going to do me as it looks like she's going to be down for a while. was pulling the seats out and 5 out of 8 bolts snapped off in the floor... man, when i buy a project i go all in!

Back