• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 4.0 cherokee with 91-95' Cam?

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be possible that a 91-95 4.0 HO cam could have sneaked into a 96' engine during factory production?

The head number is 0630, but I'm not sure if I actually have the dual pattern 96-01 cam or not. The reason why I asked the question is that my 96' seems to have a deeper throatier growl to it when you rev it. Kinda like the 91-95's. At idle, the stock exhaust even sounds throatier and deeper than the my dad's old stock 98' cherokee. When I'm accelerating onto the expressway I've also noticed that my truck zooms (or comes alive) once it reaches more or less at 3000 rpms. When it "zooms" you could even hear the intake whistle. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of low end torque, but not as much as my dad's 98'.

Would it help if I post my engine bar code number (the sticker on my valve cover)? All I've memorized on that sticker was Race "T".

Last edited:
Would it be possible that a 91-95 4.0 HO cam could have sneaked into a 96' engine during factory production?

I very much doubt it. Is your exhaust stock? If so, you may be one of the lucky few whose downpipe isn't as badly kinked as it is on many other XJs.

I very much doubt it. Is your exhaust stock? If so, you may be one of the lucky few whose downpipe isn't as badly kinked as it is on many other XJs.

Yeah, it still has the stock exhaust system. The previous owner installed a new factory-replacement muffler not too long ago. Unfortunately, it has the famous "dent" on the down pipe under the header flange. Looks identical to this:
9529d1261351830t-exhaust-pipe-dent-001.jpg

I'm going to take my truck to the exhaust shop to install the high flow cat and the dynomax super turbo catback I bought. I'm also going to get the dent removed. My stock down pipe seems to go from smaller than 2 1/4 like in the photo above to 2 1/2 halfway on the down pipe.

Last edited:
Back