• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 4.0 auto. Rough idle

wow, what a nightmare, Im having similiar probs with my 96, check engine has been on with a #1 cylinder misfire, all ive done so far was a basic tune-up, gonna try the injectors next cuz i got a strong fuel odor from mine since its popped up.

All the advice I can give u is what I was told by another xj owner that just solved his issue which is just like yours and mine, and its not good news :/ , one of the shoulders on his camshaft was worn down, the one under #1 cylinder, thus causing the misfire :(

Replaced the missing cat with 2 3/8 pipe today. Going to the bone yard for the random hoses and shrader valve for the fuel rail. Also need to stock up on fuses anyway.

Fuel gauge is working again. Replaced the vacuum lines. New valve. new fuses for interior and exterior. Put some gas in it. Other than being a bit loud back to running the way it was. Trying now to get a good head with valve train. If im lucky Ill get a 00' w/no title for parts. cant wait to hear back from the guy.

OK I have a exhaust leak at the manifold. I havent taken the manifolds off yet. I need to know something first. If the exhaust gasket is torn over to the intake, since its a shared gasket, will the exhaust leaking in cause the jeep to misfire? Also took the valve cover off and found a couple rocker arms were dry. I still havent changed the oil since adding in the Seafoam. I decided to add in a bottle of Marvel mystery oil. I have run the jeep for upwards of 60 mins. The idle has smoothed out considerably.

The Seafoam did make a difference but not much of one. Now the jeep will idle with both running through its veins. The jeep is still misfiring after all of the new work I did. I installed a new camshaft sensor. I installed used O2 sensors. I removed and reinstalled the crankshaft sensor. I tightened up the replacement pipe I replaced the missing catalytic converter with.

I am a nervous to remove the head, as I have never done that before. I am trying to figure out what to do. Any ideas on my situation?

Also the head gasket was supposedly done by the previous owner. If I pull the head am I going to need new head gasket and bolts?

Also the head gasket was supposedly done by the previous owner. If I pull the head am I going to need new head gasket and bolts?

seafoam, marvel mystery oil, water, atf, nothing is doing the trick. I have replaced everything I can think of. Now the trans is acting really funny. It will only shift into one gear and thats it. If you use reverse you get no drive. and its not stuck in reverse either. It goes into a neutral state. You have to shut the heep off then restart and it will then shift into drive.

This all makes no freaking sense. Any new ideas guys? I could really use the help. I am afraid to drive it to a friends place so he can use the scope on it.

Man, what a rough story. We went through a lot of the same stuff last year on my 96. We changed about every sensor on the thing. Cleaning out the throttle body and everything connected to that helped for a while. We did a compression test and determined the #2 cylinder wasn't firing correct. We pulled the head which was a pain, but not as bad as I thought. You have to take a LOT off to get it out, but most of it's pretty straight forward. You can never take too many pictures. Turns out, the valves on the #2 had a lot of buildup so they wouldn't seal right. Not sealing right led to more build up and the cycle continued. For us, we decided to get a stroker since the engine was getting up there in age anyhow, and we embarked a whole new odyssey. The shared gasket for intake and exhaust is pretty easy to do. We swapped to the 99+ intake and headers for not too much. You might check the neutral safety switch - it can get cleaned out and not replaced and that might help. Not that we have it all together and running yet, but I feel your pain.

Thanks bulfo. I also thought about testing the shift solenoids. Haveent read up on how to do that yet, but will figure it out. I have been ready to throw in the towel many times so far. I just cant give up on it. It reminds me of me. Got some problems but will be worth it when fixed.

Thanks for the links. Ill look into it when Im changing out the motor. I found a 1998 with 89k on the clock. I need to know if that should be a drop in deal with my 1996. Im fairly certain as long as I use my alt,ac,and the like?

Ok since the head is off I decided to let the block sit. I went back today and looked at the lifters. Most of them look clogged from the top. I didnt pull them out due to not knowing what I am doing. Good part is that I found a 4.0 with under 90k for 500 bucks. It is being delivered tomorrow evening. I am soo excited. This will give me a chance to tear down the old block and go through it. Im going to find out what was causing the mis. Then Ill rebuild it. So glad I have been persistent. This will also give me a chance to inspect the tranny

The engine is here. It is from a 1997 Cherokee. Also was lucky enough for my father to let me have the engine hoist. I found a 1250 lb engine stand for 35 bucks on craigs. Everything is lined up. Time to finish removing the and start installing. Im excited

Back