• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Toggle Switchs

MisfitDrummer

NAXJA Forum User
Toggle Switch Shifting System?

I have a toggle switch shifting system, its in a 94 Cherokee Its shifting with toggle switchs anyone know how abouts to disconnect this to make this an automatic again?

Last edited:
Did you not do the install on the bumpshift kit? Well anyways, there should be a switch you have to flip on to activate it. Otherwise, just find the power for the box and either disconnect it or put a switch on it so you CAN turn it on and off.

Ok im gonna have to explain this better because what you guys are explaining to me isnt really making any sense because its not the same thing as that is but the same concept. Theres 3 switchs all being toggle switch the first toggle controls gears 1-3 and the second one 2-4 and the last one is overdrive.There is black wires going from under the dash and I do believe it goes to the wiring harness to the Transmission computer. What im thinking is mayby that 6 black wires that are in the back of the toggle switchs have something to do with why my automatic transmission dont work when I unplug the toggles. Its mayby possible my transmission computer isnt bad (but i do have 2 of them) or it might be them black wires have to fit into the harness. I currently dont have any pictures but they way they talk about it on that site its not the same thing or I would have figured this out by now. I wasnt the one that installed the switchs but I figured I knew more about wiring then I thought I did. Turned into a mess.

Without photos, a diagram might be needed. I.e., are some wires in the tranny computer harness interrupted? If so, which ones? Where do all the wires from the toggle switches connect?

What's preventing you from just disconnecting all the toggle switches and splicing back together any wires you cut on the TC harness?

fizassist said:
What's preventing you from just disconnecting all the toggle switches and splicing back together any wires you cut on the TC harness?
X2. If you just want to disable the "manual" shifting, just wire the TCU harness back to stock. Just unplugging the switches won't do it. Power has to be removed from the TCU to do the manual shifting mod, so someone has removed a fuse or cut a wire somewhere. On my 90, the fuse is at the TCU behind the pass side dash panel, not in the fuse panel. I'm not sure about a 94 though :dunno:

If you wanted to keep the manual shifting as an option, it sounds like you'd be better off starting from scratch anyway!

Back