• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Engine Knock.....i need help

I'll give it another inspection to see if I can see any cracks.

The noise isn't there all the time either, seems random.

I'm guessing that a bad rod/bearing would be constant and persistent?

I just keep hearing about the famous flex plate cracks and I'm hoping it's that rather than the motor.

I just replaced my flexpate on my 1992 Laredo since all 4 TC bolts had fallen out. I found them all when I removed the inspection cover, which was beat to crap from 3 of the bolts flying around when the flexpate and TC were running.
I can't believe how common this is. Uhg.
Pulled tranny, changed to new flexplate since old holes were now elongated from loose bolts. Did a new TC since the tranny was out. Also replace the back freeze plug. Kinda stupid not to when the tranny is already out... right??

So.... don't break the crank position sensor...I did. Remove it when you take out the two E12 torx bolts.
So... the the TC really needs to be inside the tranny to get the motor bolted back up. I put a straight edge along the bellhousing and the TC bolt hole/mount was 7/8" deep.
So... do have 3 jacks. One for tranny, duh! One to support motor. One to maybe lift one side of the tranny to nudge it a little to help it land on the guide pin.

For diagnosing... simply get a cheap mechanics stethascope from Harbor Freight, or a wood or metal stick(jack handle?) and listen to the bellhousing area. The sound is VERY VERY pronounced here.

Back