• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ 4.0 HO What to do....

I put a new TPS on it tonight and it fixed it. Drove great!!! $44.00.
But now the tach is not working. I must have pulled a wire off somehow and can't see it. It is dark.

Thanks for everyones help. You guys are awesome.

Thanks, Chris

OK

I picked up the Jeep and was told that they hooked up the computer and got no codes. He checked the TPS and it is working. He drained the fluid and let it sit overnight and found lots of metal in it. He said that was not a good sign. It meant that gears were more than likely wearing to the point of no return. The cost was for a replacement unit that had been tested and had a 90 day warranty. He said they could rebuild mine at a higher cost.

Chris

Why do the tranny shops suck so bad?:flame:

Good job on not falling for that shit. I have seen so many people taken in by that crap.

Glad you nailed it...:sunshine:
I bought my 88 for $300 because the "shop" that the PO had taken it to told them (the PO) the transmission needed to be replaced.:shocked: I paid the shop bill made by the PO ($300) for the brake work and they (the PO) handed me the title.
After I purchased it, I got it home and upon finding this site and the link I posted above (Ecomike helped too)...
I found out that the shop had cut a wire (a little suspicious) to the TPS .... and the trans fuse was also missing from the fuse block.
The PO told me that the vehicle shifted fine when they took it to the shop.
They had only taken it in to find out why the brakes were not working properly.

For future, you can get AW4's for a decent price at the JY and have it installed for less than 1200$

I'm thrilled to hear you avoided taking it in the shorts. I've heard of some of the "less reputable" shops like AAMCO franchises telling folks they need a rebuilt tranny and then instead of actually replacing the tranny they pressure wash the tranny and replace the bad sensor.

Just curious, what is your opinion of that particular shop now? Have you called them back and told them it was a cheap fix that they should have caught? What was the shops name so others in Ohio can avoid them. If they are listed in the BBB, you should submit a report.

It's no wonder that I do all my own auto work. The only time a shop ever touched my ZJ was to do the rear main seal when I had my arm in a cast. It leaked worse afterwards because the doofus only replaced the bottom half of the seal and then didn't tighten the oil pan bolts.

Well I ran it again Saturday after replacing the screws that hold it on. I had to brake the old sensor to get it off as one screw would not budge. Runs great now. I am going to go back today and talk to the guys about the sensor. I know that they don't search the web and forums like we do and they can't find every solution every tried, but they should have found this part. It is their job. I will see what they say and if things are bad, I will post the shop name.

He did mention that 4 people wanted to know if it was for sale, but now I am going to drive it again and keep working on it.

Thanks again for all of the help. You guys and gals are great!!!

Chris

Back