• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ, 3" Rusty's lift, $1500 firm

SouthernXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, we're 4 months from the next child and I'm looking for a more 'infant' friendly ride. So, the Jeep may have to go.

It's a 1991 Laredo with 190K on the odo, a lesser mileage engine was swapped by a PO and I was 'told' it had 90K miles on it. Beats me if that's true or not but it dosent burn oil, runs smooth, doesnt skip, tick, blow smoke or knock.

Transmission shifts like normal, it will need a tranny mount because the stock one is wore out. You can feel the tranny move if you give it a lot of gas from a dead stop, so I just dont do it. Once your in motion, it cant be felt if you stomp the gas however.

Recently the exhaust was removed and replaced without a cat. Now runs straight 2.5" (I believe, I'll double check come morning) pipe and a thrush muffler. Sounds sooooo much better than stock.

Has a Rusty's 3" suspension lift; leaf inserts, shocks, springs. Was put on about 8 (guestimate) months ago. Still rides like when it was installed.

4WD works fine, I had it of road one time, used it on the roads in the big snow we had a year ago. Never been able to get the shifter down into 4LO, dont know if it's a shifter adjustment or what, it's like I cant find the pattern or something, so I just used 4HI the few times I used it at all. Front end pulled like a champ, operation was silent.

Interior is gray cloth, no rips, tears or really any substantial wear. Power windows all work, power doorlocks all work. Keyless works 98% of the time with the 2% being the zapper needs new batteries.

Paint is dark blue with gray accents. The paint is coming off the center of the hood like some hoods do. There's no body rust or damage. Paint is in pretty good shape. Only undercarriagge rust are a few spots. Nothing that you can put a finger through, but there are some spots that will need replacing in years to come.

----------- bad or not wonderful things ---------

A PO before me replaced some of the underbody (floorpan) with sheet metal pop riveted into place. Off the top of my head, I would say 4 patches, each about a foot by 8 inches. It's dark out and I'll get pics tomorrow. You would never know it was done unless you were underneath the Jeep.

The tires are 33" BFGs, the fronts are in need of replacing, the rears are at about 50% tread but the walls have that singular thin dryrot crack tires get. So, all 4 tires really need replacement. I only drive 10 miles a day or so in it, and the highest speed limit to and from work is 40MPH, so I'm not all that concerned about it myself. If they're not replaced, then they need a balance. If you hit 55, the thing shakes like a washing machine gone bad. I'd just replace the tires and be done with it.

There was a problem where I would get up to 65MPH and every 3 or 5 minutes it would start to bog down, then it would speed back up to normal. I was thinking it was a problem with my cat seeing how it was clogged and rotting from the inside out. I happened onto a 55MPH road just after I replaced the exhaust and it didnt happen in the short stretch I drove it. Now, that dosent mean I can say it's gone, just that it *MAY* have solved it. If not, I would suspect the )2 sensor, but that's just my next guess.

The horn dosent work. I have a new one, just havent installed it.

I'm sitting here thinking, and I'm pretty sure that's all that's 'wrong' with it. Considering one is it needs tires and one may be solved, I think it's a good deal at $1500, hence the *firm* price. I've been through close to 20 vehicles in my 15 years of driving and I do all I can to make sure someone knows everything there is to know, hence this loooooong post :)

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Any other questions, either post away or call 803-985-3558, ask for Skye. Also, email is [email protected]

Heh, it partially depends on what your purchasing up from. Our other ride, if you can even call it that, is a 99 Caravan. As mild and accommodating as a ride as you can ask for with two kids, so switching from that to a jeep with a lift and a louder than stock exhaust just seems a little…. dirty. Ad on top of that the fact I cant drive a vehicle for more than a year due to some psychological defect, you get sale time.

where are you in South Carolina? I am in the upstate in a town called Laurens. My 1989 xj has 191,000 miles but i am the third owner and it doesn't ride the best. I may be interested. My brother-in-law is also looking for a cheap jeep.

My father-in-law used to pastor at a church in Laurens so I used to drive there once or twice a month. I'm in Rock Hill, which if I remember correctly is about an hour and 45 minute drive through the country. I took some pics as soon as the lift was installed, a lot of them, but I cant find a single one right now. It's raining out but I'll try to get off a few shots in a couple hours if it clears up. Also need to clean out the interior, it's seatback full of baby dolls, children's books, pretend baby bottles...

After working on my beetle, I drove through a McDonalds with a lifelike baby doll laying ontop of my toolbox in the backseat. The woman working the window about freaked out.

jeep.jpg

I'm going to try to get some more soon, it's still drizzling here and I dont feel like toasting the ol digicam. Took this one from inside the house :)

Try to get some more shortly and some interior pics as soon as I remove said toys.

Forgot to mention, the factory AC works as well.

Looking for cash, going to get different type of vehicle. Probably a Crown Vic or a Caprice with the LT1. If I were to stick with an XJ, I'd defiantly keep mine :(

Just limme know. The price is extremely firm too. I think it's under priced as it is.....

Your free to swing over here and check it out if you want.

My cell is 803-389-0710 you can get me on anytime it if you need.

I talked to my dad about buying your jeep and he said that we were not going to get rid of my jeep because we have poured about $2,000 in repairs into it. So we will pay cash but is there any way that you can come to Laurens? The body shop that has done all the work to my jeep offered to check out the next car i got to make sure it is not a "lemon" like my jeep was when i bought it. My dad wants to make sure that this jeep is in good condition. If you can't or won't drive to Laurens then that is alright. Just let me know. Thanks.

Well, guy from the other board called me at about 5:00 today and sounds like he's going to take it. He should be here tomorrow at 2 or so, if he doesnt, I'll let you know what the schedule on my end looks like.

Let you know asap.

Back