• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 Jeep Briarwood

My junkyard run saturday made me think of this... there were four different XJs with chrome frontends there. Grilles and marker light bezels were in good supply and great condition, but every single one had a dent or severe bend in the bumper. :doh:

Ken, could you grab the best condition chrome grill and pass headlight bucket when your there? And if you do happen to find a chrome bumper in good condition, please grab that too. Thanks dude.

oh man just found your thread. I see how you have so little miles now. I bet the original owner paid MSRP for it too! Thats a real tragedy, but it could have been alot worse. rebuild it and put an ARB on the front so this mess doesn't happen again!

Are those factory replacement KC's???

Even though I have an ARB sitting in my basement, it isn't going anywhere close to this thing. It is getting put back to original, unmodified condition pending time and money. My original plans were to fix it over my short break before classes started again, but I was tired and worked on my other Jeep most of the time.

It is sitting in my garage right now, stripped of all the damaged parts. I'm going to cut the crossmember off the briarwood, straighten the passenger side unirail, and then weld a new crossmember on from a Jeep that xjbump parted out. I'll also add a plate over the outside of the passenger frame rail for some extra strength. I'll probably due this in December when I'm on my break from school.

They were KC lights that my friend Jeff (JrTxJ) had laying around in the Crown store he runs. They were from '96, and were brand new in the box, never used. It pissed me off because those lights survived untouched for 14 years in a box, but lived only 1 week after I installed them. Amazingly, Bump had an identical pair also new in the box from '96 that I now own, and plan on putting on once I get it all sorted out.

I don't forsee this thing being fixed for a while, unfortunately. I have a new CSF 3 row sitting in my garage for it, new bumper caps, bumperette guards, bumper brackets, fender braces, and a bumper with a little dent that I was thinking about getting chromed currently. I am thinking about ordering a NOS headerpanel from Team Cherokee, and I got the fender pretty straight already, hoping I can get it perfectly straight again, which will save me a lot of time and money, since I won't have to paint a new one (which I have thanks to Bump) and get the woodgrain sticker and that trim that I won't ever be able to find.

Last edited:
Sure, no problem. Need the adjuster screws as well? I think I have the headlight buckets and other stuff sitting in my storage unit.

Bumper - unlikely that I'll see one in good shape, but I'll grab one if I do.

Yep, adjuster screws, spring, anything else in there that makes that work. Also, the front blinker lens I need, and if the chrome headlight surround is in awesome condition, that would be great too. (I know you gave me one, but I can't remember where I put it)

I gave you a pair of surrounds and a grille, though the grille had some corrosion damage that I noticed when it got light out.

I'll see if I can find that stuff. If I knew where the hell all my junk went, I probably would have the headlight stuff on hand, it's just "somewhere" in my storage unit.

I have a chrome bumper on my jeep its not in bad shape...no dents just a little barely noticable pitting in the chrome im sure a little chrome polish and it would be good. if you want to take a look at it let me know i will swap it for a black bumper....

I have a black bumper in "decent" shape (at least for a wheeling jeep) you can have free. Comes with end caps and brackets. It could use a little straightening and a new coat of paint but I don't recall any serious rust issues, but you should look at it before deciding.

I have a chrome grill or two hanging on a nail in shed. I'll take a look at em and there yours if in decent enough condition.

Sucks to see this rig damaged.

can I ask what exactly happened?

better then rear ending a Hyundai :dunno:

Alright, well I ended up having a little mishap when I was working on my wheeling Jeep this weekend, (nothing big, just couldn't get the part in time) so I needed something to drive back to school.

Therefore, that got pushed out of the garage, and in went the Briarwood. I just needed it to drive, so I fixed what was wrong, and slapped parts back onto it. Still not as pretty as I hope to make it one day again, but it drives. (And feels damn good to drive again)

A little time lapse of when I stripped it back in early June. I thought it was pretty cool.

It ended up sitting like this from that day, until this Sunday.
Img0202.jpg

Some more photos of the damage.

Beside body damage, the radiator was punctured, fan shroud was broken, external transmission cooler lines were pinched, and thankfully that was really all mechanically.

DSC_0950.jpg

Bumper bracket almost perfect 90* angle.

DSC_0942.jpg

(ignore coolant inside frame rail)
DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

One BFH and slide hammer later, its was good enough to put a radiator and bumper back on.

DSC_0691.jpg

And how it sits now, with a tan bumper from a Country edition. both front blinkers are held on by zip ties, the header panel is still cracked, I straightened out the fender a good amount thankfully, and the passenger blinker is actually a drivers side assembly flipped upside down. Pics are hard to see.

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

Bump really helped me out, and I got a ton of parts from him to fix it. He even had the same pair of Hella fog lights that I ended up smashing. Thanks a ton Bump.

I have a chrome grill or two hanging on a nail in shed. I'll take a look at em and there yours if in decent enough condition.

Sucks to see this rig damaged.
Sorry for not responding to this before John, I must have missed it. Ya it does suck to see this thing damaged. I was extremely bummed after it happened. I would have rathered I crashed my other jeep, which was my first vehicle, which I put way too much time, money and work into, and I once said I would keep forever.

Let me know about the grill. Don't go through any extra trouble though, I'm going to slowly collect parts for it and fix it up nice again when I have time.

I have a chrome bumper on my jeep its not in bad shape...no dents just a little barely noticable pitting in the chrome im sure a little chrome polish and it would be good. if you want to take a look at it let me know i will swap it for a black bumper....
Hmm, that is definitely a possibility. I'm definitely interested in this.

You were looking for a chrome bumper right? Not sure if you saw it but I posted an eBay link a while back and a chrome bumper was going for like $20

I like it better with the tan bumper.
I'm surprised you of all people would zip tie the marker light in place. ;)

Tan up front, eh? That would look better on that truck than the Laredo Silver I sent up from NACFest (which, I presume, found a good home?)

Nice to see it back on the road.

Back