• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 XJ, Caged/Chopped/Boatsided

I had originally planned to have the gas tank just raised up to above the frame rails. i actually cut out he entire rear floor area, and then just wellded it back in when I changed my mind. The only cage that is really in the way of back seats is the two down legs coming off the c-pillar area. There is some tube associated with the gas tank being there, but that isnt anything important. You could jam two kids seats in without much trouble I would think, but getting in and out might be a pain given that there are no rear doors anymore. I dont have any good pictures of the area, but if you are serious about this, I can go out and get pics of whatever...

The frame is reinforced from the back to the front spring mount on the inside, and from the spring mount to the CA mount on the outside. There is a small gap in the reinforcement form the CA to the coil bucket area, and then it is plated up to the front - fully boxed in from the motor mounts forward. I considered fully plating the frame, but given that there is a bunch of tube going from the a-pillar forward, I figured it wasnt that necessary. If I keep it, I will probably go ahead and finish it off just because.

All that said, as much as I would like to sell it, honestly, its probably not be the ideal rig for a small family. If I wanted a four person XJ, I would just start over. XJs are cheap...

Thanks.

For what I am planning (or maybe more realistically day-dreaming about), I would like to have 4 seats or maybe just 3 so I can bring my 2 kids along. But, that would not be often, and they wouldn't mind climbing over.

I've got my XJ with more less stock interior, so I have a 4 seat XJ. I plan on keeping that. I would like to someday do something more dedicated to crawling. I don't have any specific plans, but hybrid caged, 60's maybe, 38-39-40 inch tires... along those lines is what I am thinking...

and your Jeep looks like a very good starting place for what I would like to do... honestly though, I am about a year away from being financially ready. But, if I found the right platform, I could afford to buy the platform now... and start saving for parts later.

To me, for what I want to do, all the chassis work you have on yours is well worth the asking price.... especially since I could get something out of the axles when I replaced them.

Thanks... I'm going to mull this over.. I'll let you know. I really like your Jeep man... looks like very nice work. It's tempting.

Last edited:
Here's a pic I took of Tim, and mr Ed checking it out. (Sierrafest)

Good luck. Someone buy it! It's sweet!

DSC07028.jpg

Okay, now that I have some interest, I cant bring myself to do it - sorry for stringing everyone along, but Im keeping it...

I found a few dollars laying around, so, this summer, it will go back under the knife for a small update. Probably - long arm 3 or 4 link in the front, four link in the back, with a focus on road manners and handling at (moderate) speed. Then, I will build some better front doors and wind protection, maybe a soft top for the back, and start actually using it like a jeep again.

The plan is to have it ready for fall wheeling in 2012 - maybe Moab?

Okay, now that I have some interest, I cant bring myself to do it - sorry for stringing everyone along, but Im keeping it...

I found a few dollars laying around, so, this summer, it will go back under the knife for a small update. Probably - long arm 3 or 4 link in the front, four link in the back, with a focus on road manners and handling at (moderate) speed. Then, I will build some better front doors and wind protection, maybe a soft top for the back, and start actually using it like a jeep again.

Well that sucks! :D

If you change your mind, let me know.

I, for one, am glad to hear it! Make sure you post a build thread!
Billy

post up a build thread for sure. if you do decided to sell it soon lmk it would like being in my garage and on trails in Co

yeaaaaaaaaah!!!!! i was going to throw together some cash and pick this up but i went a different route. glad to see you are keepin it, it always turns heads!!!

For the sheer amount of your time. Blood. Sweat. In that thing i can understand not letting it go. It has to be the best almost full bodied xj i have ever seen

what kind of place do you buy the plastic for the boatsides from and whats the cost?

what kind of place do you buy the plastic for the boatsides from and whats the cost?

I got this from a local plastic supply place for $100ish. It can be had a good bit cheaper if you look around. The UHMW I put on my buggy came out of Sac, was probably half that, but was finished a bit poorer (rough machined, not smooth, like that matters...) Local yellow pages will probably have a dozen plastic supply places.

The mild winter means that the rear linking has already begun. Build thread to follow when I get enough progress to keep it interesting...

I keep fearing the worst when I see this thread bumped.

I for one am glad you didn't sell it. Really looking forward to the build thread. Let me know if you need any help too, I'd love to check it out in person and take some notes for mine.

I keep fearing the worst when I see this thread bumped.

I for one am glad you didn't sell it. Really looking forward to the build thread. Let me know if you need any help too, I'd love to check it out in person and take some notes for mine.

:yelclap:

Back