• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 AMC Cherokee

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided to sell my Cherokee. It's an '87 AMC, 4.0L 5-speed. It has roughly 244,000 miles. I originally purchased it in CA, and it's been here since about 1999. It includes the following:

• 4.56 geared Dana 30 w/ locker, axle rebuilt by Bay State Offroad in Middleboro.
  • 4.56 geared Dana 44, axle rebuilt by Bay State Offroad in Middleboro.
  • 34x9.5-15 Super Swampers, including spare tire. Currently, the front two are flat from sitting.
  • Mopar Performance ECU installed, also includes standard Jeep ECU. Yup, the very rare one, and it works perfectly.
  • Remanufactured Mopar 4.0L, w/ Borla header; includes cat delete tube w/ 4-bolt flange. Engine was replaced in Harwich by a Jeep service tech in his own garage.
  • Tranny and transfer case have both been rebuilt by a local shop.
  • Installed skid plates: factory fuel tank and suspension. Aftermarket engine and transfer case, side rocker guards.
  • Roof rack, with mount for spare tire and Hy-lift.
  • Includes Dodge Charger 17-inch steel wheels in new condition with same bolt pattern. I had intended to go to Wrangler-sized tires.
  • Many spare parts in my basement.
  • Steering components were replaced with Crown's version of the Grand Cherokee upgrade.
  • The lift has beed on there for a while... about 6" front, and 7" rear. Combination of 4.5" coils and a spacer in front, and a combination of Rubicon Express 5" springs, and a 2" block. The rear driveshaft was matched to the D44 for length, and the T-case was dropped an inch. I've never had any driveline issues.
  • Maintenance log of work performed since I bought it in 1994, as well as a ton of receipts.
  • Master cylinder has been removed as well as headlights, and there is no rear seat. Planned on replacing the MC with a double-diaphram setup, but couldn't find the time. The rear seat I tossed long ago.

Long story short, I just don't have time for this any more. I had to take it off the road because I couldn't get it inspected due to the lift... tried five different shops. The engine runs great. I've always change the oil with synthetic, and regular filter changes. Injectors have been replaced from the originals that leaked. Replaced lots of hard parts when I did the engine, and belts, vacuum line harnesses, etc. I loved this Jeep, but my interests in life have changed.

Best offer, but be real. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but it's not free either. If you're serious, I'll answer questions, but suggest you come take a look at it. I have the title.

Would you consider selling just the mopar performance ECU?

I can't argue that.

Whoever ends up buying it, if you wanna make a few easy bucks and don't care about the ECU, get in touch. :)

Good luck with sale.

Back