• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 XJ with welded on coil spacers?

CuseMoose

NAXJA Forum User
last week I bought a 1986 xj, 2 door, 5 speed, real cheap. I couldn't pass it up. it currently sits on an '8" in lift. there's blocks on the back, and coil spacers up front. its sitting on 33's, and just looks super goofy and and I was getting ready to just buy 4 inch blocks for the back and while trying to figure out the front, it seems the front coil spacers are tack welded onto the strut tower. I've never seen this before and was wondering if you guys could help me out on some advice. do they normally get welded on? does this look normal? obviously cutting it off is an option, but what else could I do to get this ridiculous lift off. and im currently stationed overseas so parts will all have to be ordered online. so it will take some time to keep everyone updated on progress.
photo.php

Do you have any pics?

In short no it's not normal, most spacers are rubber, unless it's an acos. But we'd need to see it to give advice

Agreed with comment above, definitely not normal.
When I bought my XJ the previous owner put in a 3" suspension left with 2" metal spaces in the front on top of the coils. But they were not welded, and easily removed.

I've seen 2" coil spacers on the diff, they went on the stockers then went up 2". They slid on. Shade tree if you ask me. But they were factory built.

Its not stock, but is hardly weird or unbeleivable... you can make a spacer out of steel just fine... the rubber isolators can be swapped over...

Thats hardly a big deal... Completely "normal". If thats the worst part about your 8" lift... youd be a lucky man.

Back