• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 MJ build/ questions

There is a piece of 3/16" back there now but yes the foot is bolted to it.

Everyone I've seen like that they cut out the crossmember and push the winch forward an couple inches. I have everything to swap a 4.0l sitting in the shop but it looks like the crank pully won't clear the winch.

The other option is to rework the winch mount but I already have a 4.3l and all the wiring sitting in the shop as well.

I have my winch mounted about 3.5" forward from where it'd be if I bolted it to a crossmember and there is a ton of space between it and the harmonic balancer. Not sure if it'd clear, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

In fact I'd worry more about clearing the power steering box with the winch than the engine/belt path.

My friend has his bolted behind the crossmember no problem with a 4.0. Pretty sure he has a decent amount of room behind the winch. Definitely enough to get it in and out, as he had to pull it to clock the clutch release.

I guess I could take some more measurements. When I built the bumper I was pretty sure the 4.0l wouldn't fit, I had a late model XJ on my lift the other day and I was kinda comparing how it would fit and it looked like there was no way.

At this point I could go either way on the swap, I have both engines sitting there and all the wiring for the swap. It doesnt really matter which one I use, performance wise I think they are about the same.

sorry for the late post back guys been so busy with work lately just haven't had much time. So i actually changed the build plans for this jeep i'm dumping the 3.4 idea and actually plan on dropping a 3.0l Mercedes diesel in the truck. Either the om606 or om617 which ever i find first. Then making a adapter plate for a ax-15 at my work. I have kicked around so many different ideas for this jeep. I really think this is going to be just a cool swap to do and should turn some heads.

mercedes will be nice.

I want to do a 4bt some day.

Ya what I was thinking, I'm excited about the build.Soon as I start it ill be putting a build thread up. 4bt swap would be awesome but it could be very pricey.

I believe there is a MB XJ swap thread here somewhere. THat may help you in your venture.

ya most of them i have seen where on pirate. It actually doesn't look like to bad of a swap to be honest. Biggest thing is gathering everything up i need for the swap. I know defiantly need a ax-15 and a np 231. A guy i work with has a Dana 44 and a 9in for sale to that i think i'm going to snatch up.

Back