• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10.5" or 11.5" wide tires?

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
When my 31" tires wear out (probably before winter), I'll be moving to a 32" tall tire and new rims. It looks like I can get 32" tires in either a 10.5" width (265/75-16) or a 11.5" width (32x11.5x15). My assumption for traction is that wider is almost always better, so I was planning to go with the 32x11.5x15 size, but is there any reason not to go with the wider tire?

I used to run 33 x 10.5's(15") but changed over about 10yrs ago 265/75/16's.

Evan03, the diameter of 285/75-16 comes out very close to the manufacturer quoted diameter of a 33" tire. For example the Wrangler Duratrac has a quoted diameter of 33.1" for the 285/75-16 while the 33x12.5x15 Duratrac is quoted as 32.8". I'm still on stock fenders, so that's more diameter than I can run. I'm already pushing things a bit with a 32" tire.

Anyhow, I'm starting to think that at 10.5" diameter tire is a better all around bet. The nice thing about the 265/75-16 is that there is a wide range of tire choices. 32x11.5x15 is slim pickings.

I think it funny that 33s are the devil but 32s will be easy on you.
They are virtually the same and differ from tire to tire.

Be prepared to do the same work for either size to fit them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Yes I agree get the tire you want available in the size you want

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I think I run a 265 70 R16 on my 2000 lifted 2". I think I measured 9.5 width, possibly a 10" and 31.5 diameter. The difference for me would be if using for snow or mud. I'd want a narrower tire for snow on paved roads. Mine are 3 Peaks. I do encounter snow during the winter. Not much for the past 15 years though. It seems to go around where I am at.
I did have some issues in the mud at Winterfest, on my other XJ. I forget the metric, but roughly a 32.5 and 10.5 width and R17's. I saw others with chains on. I will say, I liked the 3 Peaks for them, with the limited amount of snow I have encountered.

The nice thing about the 265 Duratrac is that it is available in a "C", after that they all go to "D's" and "E's".

The nice thing about the 265 Duratrac is that it is available in a "C", after that they all go to "D's" and "E's".

Do you have any MPG data or view on "C" rated vs "E' rated tires? I'm at 18.5 mpg Highway on 31" E rated. I know a lot of other factors. A neighbor said he lost 4 mpg going from stock so C to 10 ply E on a JK.

I'm not talking about gas mileage, I'm talking about the ability to air down. I have a set of d's on the other Jeep and you can let all the air out them and still be standing (although you would spin the beads off).

I used to swap out tires/wheels depending on the trip I was making. I decided to go with the best all-around tire I could find, I'm now 10yrs sold on the Dura-trac's.

I had a chance to measure a Duratrac in a 31x10.5x15 and in a 265/75-16. Both are the same width (the metric is actually 0.125" wider), while the metric is almost exactly 1" taller.

The other reason I went 16's was to accommodate my WJ brakes.

Yes I run factory TJ Rubicon wheels.
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

There is a late ZJ/XJ wheel that is 16x7 with IIRC 5.5" backspace but Rubi is 16x8.
P1080641_zpsc3liuhoi.jpg

I stand corrected, I just measured and the book also shows these wheels as 5" backspace. All I know is they are what I wanted!

Back