• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ is making loud whistle

hall8211

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 xj is making a loud annoying whistle after it warms up a minute and when i am not accelerating. It does stop if i sit in idle for a minute, but will start back up as soon as i start to move again. If i am in the accelerater at all it does not whistle. Sounds like a vaccuum leak to me. Local mechanic cannot figure it out!! Any suggestions?

If you suspect it truly is a vacuum leak, check the vacuum line that runs under the battery tray to the vacuum accumulator behind the front bumper.

It's very common on the XJ's, as battery acid and rubbing on the tray causes it to leak.

The line is black hard plastic. The accumulator is also, and about the size and shape of a softball. It's mounted behind the front bumper passenger side.

Had a whistle in my 98 underhood and found it to be the breather tube for the PCV system. It had worn a hole at the top of the tube and I suspect it was rubbing against the hood. Jeep had it in stock and I believe the entire piece cost me around $20.

Back