• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 Tj Obd

PaulJ

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of my daugher has a '01 TJ with the "malfunction" light illuminated. Assuming this is what is often called the "check engine" light, how do I read out the codes? Can I get the light to flash the codes for me?

Yer gonna need to get yer paws on an OBD-II code reader, and find out if you need a "personality module" to get the proper codes (that's iffy - but if it was a GM I'd say don't bother without it...)

You could borrow one from a mechanic buddy, or some basic OBD-II code readers can be found in the range or $200-400, depending on features. If you plan on keeping newer vehicles about, an OBD-II reader is a good investment...

5-90

My wife's is on constantly (00 TJ). It is usually the gas cap. I finally replaced it, and it has been fine. I always bring it to Autozone, they read it, tell ya what it is, and reset it, no appt. necessary.(no I don't work of Autozone, they have just always been helpfull)

If you were in Fresno I would pull the codes for you. you can get a Generic OBD II scanner which will pull the codes and tell you what they are (Basic one). The dealer codes you can just call and ask the what they stand for. If your looking to buy one I would say to look at

www.fresnotool.com

They carry them. Price range from a little under 200 to over 3000 dollars.
I've used there low end model and it's fine, pulls codes, tells you the code and clears the code. You can even watch the sensors values change as you drive.

No I don't work for them just a customer of theres. I'm a smog tech. You know "The people that everyone hate when they fail the smog test"

MudSlinger said:
No I don't work for them just a customer of theres. I'm a smog tech. You know "The people that everyone hate when they fail the smog test"

I don't hate the smog tech if I fail - unless I failed because he fingered something I told him not to. I hate the vidiots in Scrappymento for writing regulations for reducing emissions which are methods-based rather than results-based. If they would get out of my way and let me work my magick, I would bring my emissions levels down to ZERO - or close enough to not matter.

Nor am I the only one who could do this - there are a whole batch of motorheads here in the Caliphate who would be able to achieve much the same thing if we were allowed to do what comes naturally. Frankly, I'd like to see the cost of exhaust gas analysers come down to something a hobbyist could afford - a 4- or 5-gas analyser is one of the best tuning tools a gearhead could have!

Keep your fingers off my engine as much as possible and we'll get along just ducky...

5-90

Back