• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Stalling Problems

BlackBetty01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 cherokee sport that is starting up and driving fine, but after I drive it for a short distance and stop, it wants to stall. The rpms go down to about 250 and bogs down for a little bit, and then proceeds to stall if I let it. It only does it when it is completely stopped and at idle. I already tried cleaning mis. sensors and the intake, but no success yet. Have any of you had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The two engine management sensors that are suspect would be the idle air control and the throttle position sensor.

Cleaning of the IAC can be helpful, but if there is something mechanically or electrically wrong with it, cleaning won't help.

When your saying you stop do you mean that you stop at a store and go in while the vehicle is off or your stopped at a traffic light?

If its the first one I am thinking its a heat soak issue due to the pre converters which is a common issue on the 00 and 01 XJ's.

If its the second one I would try cleaning the Idle Air Control solenoid with a good cleaner and a small brush that will fit into the ports in the throttle body.

Check your battery it happened to me recently. A weak battery can start your engine but it could stall when stopped. Take it in for a load test.

Check your battery it happened to me recently. A weak battery can start your engine but it could stall when stopped. Take it in for a load test.

Agreed. Load testing of the battery is a good idea here. Low available battery voltage for the engine management system can result in stalling symptoms.

Thank You everyone, I cleaned the sensors on the throttle body and now it is working fine again. I have noticed some problems with the battery lately like not starting etc.., so I will have to get that checked out soon...
Much Appreciated!

Yeah, the electrical system is critical on modern computerized vehicles.

If the available voltage drops below 9 volts things will get wonky/weird very fast.

Have your battery load tested. Do a voltage drop test on the main cables after cleaning both ends of them.

Back