• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 intake manifold

hagermanfolley

Builder
just took off my intake maifold. there are two holes on the bottom that look like bolt holes, ad two coresponding holes in the block, but they are not threaded. What goes there pins? what size?

there's supposed to be two locating dowels there, i don't recall the size. i'm not sure how necessary they are, although they certainly help line everything up.

The OP said the holes were on the bottom of the intake so that does not mean the block/head mounting surface does it?

mikeforte said:
The OP said the holes were on the bottom of the intake so that does not mean the block/head mounting surface does it?

i'm assuming he means the intake mounting surface. i was always under the impression those were "blind" holes.

Ten High said:
i'm assuming he means the intake mounting surface. i was always under the impression those were "blind" holes.
They are on the Renix years but not sure on the later model 4.0s

Yes 10 high it is the intake mounting surface. in between ad below the first to intake holes and in between and below the last two. they do look like pin alignment holes. anybody know where to get new pins? also How do you go about cleaning your own injectors? I ont have the 350-480 for new ones but thought Id clean mine up. would it hurt anything to soak them overnight in carb or injector cleaner, scrub them with a tooth brush?

thanks

hagermanfolley said:
Yes 10 high it is the intake mounting surface. in between ad below the first to intake holes and in between and below the last two. they do look like pin alignment holes. anybody know where to get new pins? also How do you go about cleaning your own injectors? I ont have the 350-480 for new ones but thought Id clean mine up. would it hurt anything to soak them overnight in carb or injector cleaner, scrub them with a tooth brush?

thanks
I think a set from a 5.0 mustang from JY work great and they are pretty cheap. I bought a set about 2 years ago for $100 and replaced mine. Runs great with Ford injectors. Just make sure to use new O-rings and be very very careful removing the fuel rail. DO NOT bend it or tweak it in any way or it will not seal the injectors again.
I changed mine because a friend I knew had a jig to test spray patterns and mine were pretty crappy, so I checked the new/used Mustang injectors patterns and they looked great so I changed them and haven't looked back.

hagermanfolley said:

thanks

The dowel part# is J317 2318 Is the hole in the head threaded?
Try running the TEXTRON cleaner through your tank. I believe they were the ones that came up with the chemical that dissolves the deposits.
Another way is to use "top tier" gas, it is supposed to have enough stuff to keep everything clean.
GOOGLE "top tier" and you will find who in your neck of the woods sells it.

jneary said:
the dowels are not threaded, they have to be knocked in with a hammer

In that case it should be easy to install them. All he has to do is clean the holes a bit coat them with red or green locktite and a brass hammer will do the rest.

I replaced the cylinder head last year, so maybe it didnt have the pins. Just called the local jeep service center and they said they dont do off vehicle injector cleaning and they dont know of anyone that does. Ford mustang injectors, where did you get those? and for what year and engine? Anybody ever tried putting them in a bath and cleaning the injectors them selves? Think I will try this before I buy new ones. Yes I did buy all new seals so Im covered there.

It was a new head. I will call jeep ad see if I can get those dowls
Thanks guys

hagermanfolley said:
I replaced the cylinder head last year, so maybe it didnt have the pins. Just called the local jeep service center and they said they dont do off vehicle injector cleaning and they dont know of anyone that does. Ford mustang injectors, where did you get those? and for what year and engine? Anybody ever tried putting them in a bath and cleaning the injectors them selves? Think I will try this before I buy new ones. Yes I did buy all new seals so Im covered there.

What's wrong with trying some injector cleaner before you pay big bucks for new injectors?

Back