• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 XJ - Does this sound like the camshaft sensor?

I just want to throw this out there before I start snatching out parts:

My issues are completely inconsistent right now. Sometimes it starts on the first crank, sometimes it takes multiple tries. Sometimes I have problem-free rides. Sometimes it misses and falls into limp mode or cuts off. Nothing happens every time.

Start looking for evidence of poor or bodged electrical connections, particularly around the ECU, CPS, and PDC.

I don't want to start throwing unwarranted suspicion into the mix, but this sounds almost like a CPS having issues. Thing is, there are other items that could be at play here - bad grounds (especially around the grounding straps from the body to the engine or battery to body), or even battery terminals.

Give everything around those areas a good visual inspection and see if that raises any flags. This isn't to discount anything you've noted so far, but rather in agreement with your idea of not wanting to throw parts at it and see what happens.

The other possibility is that you're having multiple issues at once, but ruling out the basics would be a good starting point.

I think you guys had it. I checked some wires today. Nothing looked interesting. After reading the article you guys linked for me, I was convinced this was my real problem so I went to my parents' place and had Dad give me a hand with reindexing the camshaft position sensor. The process was quick and easy. So far the results look positive. Starts were immediate and SOTP says there's more power now.

There are many Jeeps running around that have the dis/cmp not properly indexed. Symptoms are bucking issues, misfire codes, backfires into intake, pinging/hesitation at certain rpms, and more.

The cam shaft may have been damaged by the first cam sensor drive binding up. Which then damaged the second sensor drive. Or it could have been an issue with the oil pump binding up.

FWIW When you install a new cam sensor drive you need to prelube it by squirting some oil into the hole on the side of it.

Back