• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 np242 rear output seal

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my damaged np242 with a junkyard case, I opened it up/inspected/resealed case/hack& tapped it/replaced seals.
When installing the rear output seal I noticed it went in too easy, I mean I could press it in by hand, so I spread some ultra black RTV in the opening before setting the seal in place. Is it normal for this seal to go in so easy?

I don't think any seal is supposed to be hand tight. They do make a locktite that is specifically for races and seals. If this ends up leaking or backing out, get a new seal and use that stuff instead.

No, seals need to be driven in. Maybe the seal you got wasn't the right one or put in the wrong box.

Funny I just checked a 242 I have with an 10/95 build date & the seal pocket (or whatever the spot where the seal mounts) measures a few thousands of an inch smaller than the late 99 mfg date 242 I'm working on, odd!
If the NAPA & ADPTY brand seals I ordered don't fit I may have to swap out rear housings.
Also odd thing I found is that the late model 242 has no lock ring & washer directly behind the oil slinger like earlier transfer cases have, no slot cut in the shaft for the lock ring at all, just a smooth shaft. So caution has to be taken when mounting the slinger not to contact the seal.

Back