NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 12th, 2005, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

does anyone run with frame strengtheners on their jeeps?

i was wondering if it was at all worth the 300 bucks to put frame strengthener kit on my jeep iv heard its good iv heard its bad wanted to see if ne one does actually have them and a frist hand experience
Old October 12th, 2005, 20:53
NAXJA Member #1289

Re: does anyone run with frame strengtheners on their jeeps?

I run the detours rock slyders with the frame strengthener built in. they are a great product, no issues, easy bolt/weld on.

Frame strengthener gives a noticeble ride change. They limit the flex of the unibody and can make the highway run a little less comfortable to say the least. As for off road there will be lot less twist on the trail and the suspension has to work a little more.

IMHO, overall I think they are a good investment.
my $.02.

Aaron
Old October 12th, 2005, 21:05
PostMaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xjache
I run the detours rock slyders with the frame strengthener built in. they are a great product, no issues, easy bolt/weld on.

Frame strengthener gives a noticeble ride change. They limit the flex of the unibody and can make the highway run a little less comfortable to say the least. As for off road there will be lot less twist on the trail and the suspension has to work a little more.

IMHO, overall I think they are a good investment.
my $.02.

Aaron
How much did your body twist on the trail so that now that you have them installed your suspension works more

In general they are a great idea, but for the money that you're gong to spend them I think you'd be better off finding someone that can box your frame rails (or weld 3/16" 3x3 angle iron).
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:53
NAXJA Member #1100

check out http://www.tntcustoms.com they've got a nice frame stiffener kit. If/when I do something like that, that's the kit I'll probably go with. The T&T kit is actually plate that's been bent to fit the XJ unibody rails, it's not just angle iron...
Old October 13th, 2005, 07:49
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up Re: does anyone run with frame strengtheners on their jeeps?

I too went with the Detours slider with frame reinforcement. I liked the concept that the rock rails were tied to the uniframe and the uniframe was reinforced.
The whole unibody is strengthened and then when tied in with a transfere skid that ties both sides of the frame together you have formed a steel frame "H" under you body. The stiffeners along with the rails protect the sides and undercarraiage, then along with bumpers front and rear, I am totally boxed-in with steel reinforcement.
I can not say that it negatively effected the ride quality. I have lifted and change springs, so the ride is stiffer, but the on-road handling is firm not harsh, like a sports suspension instead of a bouncey one.
Old October 13th, 2005, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

well if i didnt have them wouldnt it make it so my doors stwist and they wont be bale to close after i get off the trail cuz thats what i have heard. and i jsut bought some rock rails but no frame strengthener combo thing i was looking to buy these no welding needed http://www.tandjperformance.com/prod...chassiskit.htm

Last edited by jeepster89; October 13th, 2005 at 14:58.
Old October 13th, 2005, 14:49
Still Flailing

i got the tnt customs frame stiffenerz and will have the cage tied to them, will post pics when done.
Old October 13th, 2005, 15:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster89
well if i didnt have them wouldnt it make it so my doors stwist and they wont be bale to close after i get off the trail cuz thats what i have heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translator
Well, if I did not have them, would it not make it so my door frames twist and I would not be able to close the doors after I get off the trail? That is what I have heard.
Answer: No.

Rev
Old October 13th, 2005, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
blah blah blah....i was looking to buy these no welding needed http://www.tandjperformance.com/prod...chassiskit.htm
bzzzzzzt...Know what you're getting into before you buy

Welding is needed - look closely at the pics. I've seen these on the Jeepspeed rigs and they are hella stout, but that bar gets in the way of some bolt on stuff like rock sliders, drop bracket braces and some cross members and skids. Leaving you to figure out how to fab that stuff to work with the stiffeners.
Old October 13th, 2005, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

I made mine out of 3x6 tubing (12 ft. stick) and split it down the middle with a plasma cutter, cost = $50. If the TNT stiffeners where out at the time I made mine I would have gotten them to save time (not money), but I still would have added more to them.
It stiffened up the roofless XJ allot and I need a soild foundation to tie my cage into. I also tied the rails into my drop brackets, sliders and front and rear leaf spring mounts. Lots of carefull stitch and rossett welding with the mig.

Old October 13th, 2005, 20:21
NAXJA Member #791

Quote:
well if i didnt have them wouldnt it make it so my doors stwist and they wont be bale to close after i get off the trail cuz thats what i have heard. and i jsut bought some rock rails but no frame strengthener combo thing i was looking to buy these no welding needed http://www.tandjperformance.com/prod...chassiskit.htm
I got the T and J kit used off of this board, with the skids, stage II or something. They do need welding. We put them on and welded nearly all of them on...we ran out of gas on the last 1/2 of the second one. I can tell you they made such a difference, my WIFE comment on how quiet the truck became. From the time I drove it out of the garage after install...no more squeaks or groans. It was really amazing how quiet it got! I would recommend them. It has made my rock rail situation more complicated. I figure I'll just weld them to the Chassis Stiffeners.
HTH
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:45
Gone but not forgotten...

ANyone got pics or atleast good tips for installing the TNT stiffiners? I want to order them, but I am no welder.

You tell him to put that thing in 4-low, take off his My Little Pony panties and drive it outta there
Old January 3rd, 2006, 14:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachMan
ANyone got pics or atleast good tips for installing the TNT stiffiners? I want to order them, but I am no welder.
TnT frame stiffeners and long arm kit.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 15:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachMan
well they are pretty simple to put on it looks like they are bend to fit nice and tight. The welding will be your problem, i would not pic upside down on the uniframe rails as the first choice for one to teach himself to weld. I dont weld yet either so i am not busting your ballz, just get a buddy if you can, a local jeep club will have guys that can do it for beer money and pizza, or go to a local hotrod, or 4x4 shop. Any good welder could put those on. If you havent welded it takes a skilled hand on that thin uniframe to not jack it up.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 15:31
NAXJA Forum User

Why "stitch" (I'm assuming that means small circular welds thru drilled holes) weld as opposed to normal welds all the way or enev 4" welds every 4' or so?