• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Xj ignition swith wiring diagram??-push button start

89xjlostcause

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had to rip my colomb apart to fix the tilt, but the "expert" mechanic that reassembled it seems to have screwed something up with the ignition switch pushrod. Im tired of working on this and I plan to just put together a push button start setup, i just cant identify all the wires running from the actual switch.
If anyone knows the wiring that would be great but would be even better would be a push button start schematic thats proven to work.

my 87 xj wagoneer has push button startup. the previous owner did it. i'll try and get some photos and information as soon as i can. you still have to turn the ignition to the on position.

i had to destroy the tumblers on mine to get the thing to start so i could move it ... this pushbutton idea sounds good

what do you do about having the accessories on all the time though? and how do you turn it off?
need more details....

I had a problem with the tumbler on my MJ. I removed it and transfered every thing to a set of switches.

One switch is the 'main power', basically what happens when yout turn the key to the on posistion. A second switch puts power to the fuel pump. Then there is a push button on the lower side of the dashboard to actually fire the starter.

The only problem I have is there is no steering wheel lock. That and I forget the keys, so I can't lock the doors.

w_howey said:
I had a problem with the tumbler on my MJ. I removed it and transfered every thing to a set of switches.

One switch is the 'main power', basically what happens when yout turn the key to the on posistion. A second switch puts power to the fuel pump. Then there is a push button on the lower side of the dashboard to actually fire the starter.

The only problem I have is there is no steering wheel lock. That and I forget the keys, so I can't lock the doors.

sounds like a reasonable setup, i guess i hadn't thought of just having multiple switches. not too worried about locking the truck anyway where i live, besides, theyd probably be too confused to steal it when theres no key tumbler to break!

87.jpg

Back