• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lopez Island Meet, Camp and BBQ

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
No trails, so if that is a must..... sorry.

Lopez Island is 12 miles long, 6 miles wide. Ferry leaves from Anacortes Wa (near Mount Vernon) (2 hours North od Seattle or so) and takes 45 min. or so to get here by ferry. Sight seeing and slower life is the big draw (no trails). We are in the "Bannana Belt) so much of the rain avoids us. In fact, it is pretty dry all things considered.

We have almost 2 acres here and plenty room for camping. There is also a hotel, as well as several Bed and Breakfast Inns on the island for thos so inclined.

I suggest a weekend be allotted for a trip out here, with one night (Saturday) an overnight.

Rough plan... arrive during the day Saturday (Fri Evening OK too), the earlier the better. Bring your Jeep if you like (would make a good photo Op), or the "other rig" :) Stay longer, or just the day...up to you. I suggest car pooling if possible to help with ferry wait times.

If you prefer to fly out (Kenmore Air does float planes..... great way to get here IMHO, but a little more $$), let us know in advance so we know how many to pick-up etc...

I have a smoker that makes a wonderful Salmon, ribs, steaks, chicken (built and delivered by my Dad... as published in the "FireHouse Food, Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters", as well as a propane BBQ.

I am happy to arrange for fresh salmon, and some ribs. Steaks; I suggest you bring those from the mainland. Tri-Tip is perfect, or your preference. The grocery store closes at 7PM, so bring some beer, soda, beverage of choice. :)

Spouses and children welcome. We have a large trampoline, and various other things for kids to do. Wireless internet for those that need to keep in touch.... and access to our computers as well. May even consider a Live Web Cam, courtesy of www.sb-host.com :)

The main activity would be some sights of the island for those that want to. Otherwise.... firepit, camping, BBQ, and beverages.

The hard part is the week-end to do this. So.... for those interested, throw out some dates.
All are welcome, would be fun to make this happen. :)

Glenn

Sounds good. I suggest a potluck. If every family brought $20 worth of food and drink (family drinks for dinner time), we'd have a pretty good feast!

I can bring $20 worth of marinated tri-tips.

yum! Tri-tips. :)

Beer, spirits, wine, etc.... are very much welcome. Just remember we are inviting families too, so not a "Naked Beezil Fest" type thing. I intend to have fun, that is for sure....but not "completely" nutz. hehe

Oh yeah, if anybody is in to Kayaks or bikes, this is a great place to do that.
Glenn

I definitily second the potluck idea.
How about dogs? Our son is not allowed to stay at home alone ;)
He is well behaved. And kid friendly. And comes with his own dog house.
And his own shit scooper.
Or he can stay with his grandparents.

What are the prices for the ferry?

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Phil that was fast. :clap:

PNW01XJ said:
I definitily second the potluck idea.
How about dogs? Our son is not allowed to stay at home alone ;)
He is well behaved. And kid friendly. And comes with his own dog house.
And his own shit scooper.
Or he can stay with his grandparents.

What are the prices for the ferry?
Fares range from $22 to $30's. Tickets are round trip.... pay to get out here, return is free. :) Cheaper if a few folks ride together.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/fares/index.cfm?fareroute_id=8082&route_abbrev=ana-sj

Dogs, sure. We have a dog.... he acts tough, but is harmless and absolutely loves our kids and their friends. :)

Glenn

Glenn said:
The hard part is the week-end to do this. So.... for those interested, throw out some dates.
I was going to say fall chinook season and fly out from UT....

Glenn said:
not a "Naked Beezil Fest" type thing. I intend to have fun, that is for sure....but not "completely" nutz. hehe
..but now I'm having second thoughts. :dunno:

Dan.

So, let's not do the restaurant meeting and do it at Glenns for the weekend.

How's May 15 & 16th? The 9th is Mother's Day, so not a good weekend.

Kristen, don't worry, we'll plan another one before the Summer ends!

Steve

15th and 16th sounds good to me. You can count me in for two.

ECKSJAY said:
Don't you mean three? What about your son? :D
Maybe it is just my son and me? Or you could count me in for three. Thanks :doh:

PNW01XJ said:
Maybe it is just my son and me? Or you could count me in for three. Thanks :doh:

LOL, I figured it could just be you two... Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to meet him, of course. I miss mine since he passed on 2 years ago.

I'll be there, 3.

Let's get a list started:

I got tri-tips, and some misc items that always need to be grabbed last minute.

Glenn said ribs and/or salmon

Eckjay mentioned brauts?

Hows about:
Burgers and dogs (with buns and fixins)?
Tater/Macaroni salad?
Beans?
Jello/Fruit salad?
Silverware/Plates/Bowls?
??????

If you make a dish, bring a serving utensil.

Steve

"I" (really my wife) will do Mac/Tat salad. plus what ever needs to be covered.

Ecksjay I meant to send you a pic a while ago, but could get your email. Pm me your email and I will send a pic of him.

Yeah, sign me up for a dozen brats (don't want too many since we'll have lots of other stuff...I'll bring more if we confirm more people) and sauerkraut, onions, cheese, and garlic. I could probably get one of the small kegs of Beck's to bring along, too. ;) Brats are always best with kraut and beer. :D My GF makes a killer artichoke dip, too.

Just need a grill, Glenn. :D

ECKSJAY said:
Yeah, sign me up for a dozen brats (don't want too many since we'll have lots of other stuff...I'll bring more if we confirm more people) and sauerkraut, onions, cheese, and garlic. I could probably get one of the small kegs of Beck's to bring along, too. ;) Brats are always best with kraut and beer. :D My GF makes a killer artichoke dip, too.

Just need a grill, Glenn. :D
I have the propane BBQ, as well as the briquette smoker/BBQ. I may need to round up another BBQ.... will see how many are coming as it gets closer. :)
Glenn

Back