NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:07
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Arrow 2000 XJ - Daily Driver/Expedition Build

First Jeep owner here. I bought an XJ because Wranglers weren't as family freindly, and didn't have much room for hauling. I found one, with some "valve noise" and bought it. Turned out to be a rod knocking. I ended up throwing that rod soon after. Oh well. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one, all done in my garage with basic hand tools, mostly by myself. *pats self on back*

New engine with J & C enterprises head (no crap 0331 casting here)

Next up, a mild lift to fit some larger tires...
Rusty's 2" springs. 150 lbs rate and AAL in the rear.

I picked up the shocks for $30 for all four. They are JK takeoffs. BPE's are have been used on front and rear mounts.

So I broke the rear mounts and decided just to cut holes. No pictured but I sealed them back up with Dynamat. One day I'll weld them.

I actually got a .5" lift from installing JK shocks. If you do them, go for the black bodies. They are stiff. The red one would be real harsh on a light XJ.

Lift installed. Tires shown are 235/75-15. I plan on running a 30" tire.

Now I have some vibes and a clunk on accel and decel when driving at 30mph. SYE to come.. or a TC drop to get me by.

Future plans include new wheels/tires. I have a set of Moabs..not sure if I'll use them or now. I want 4 or 4.5" of bs.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:20
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2000 XJ - Kaboom!

Nice work and clean rig. As far as vibes a tc drop should be good for your height
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:15
NAXJA Forum User

Wow! You make it look easy!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 17:43
NAXJA Forum User

2000 XJ - Kaboom!

Nice XJ. I disagree on the red (Rubicon) JK shocks being too stiff, though. We installed them on my daughter Mira's '97 XJ 2-door, and the ride is quite nice.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 18:28
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeep00 View Post
Nice work and clean rig. As far as vibes a tc drop should be good for your height
Yes I might try a TC until I can do an SYE. I loaded down the back and vibes are not the bad really. The clunk got a lot lighter.. I think it is the bind at the rear driveshaft. I'm rocking the original u-joints. 155k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
Wow! You make it look easy!
If only it were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Nice XJ. I disagree on the red (Rubicon) JK shocks being too stiff, though. We installed them on my daughter Mira's '97 XJ 2-door, and the ride is quite nice.
I may have to retract that... I had it out today and the black body JK's do seem to ride really well with my setup. I love the fact I got them for $30 and have $25 in front BPE's and maybe $5 in alt bushings. $60 max invested in these and they do ride very nice. Perfect for a 2-4" lift, IMO.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:31
NAXJA Forum User

Shoulda gone stroker homie.
Old November 25th, 2013, 09:05
NAXJA Forum User

Nice XJ, mine is the same color.

I had the red JK shocks and they were extremely stiff. They were smooth on the highway, but on a back road if I hit a pothole the back end would kick out. I swapped in some OME shocks and they ride like butter.

How easy was the dynamat to apply? I've been thinking about doing some sound deadening in my XJ with dynamat.
Old November 25th, 2013, 14:33
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeftwillP View Post
Shoulda gone stroker homie.
$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
Nice XJ, mine is the same color.

I had the red JK shocks and they were extremely stiff. They were smooth on the highway, but on a back road if I hit a pothole the back end would kick out. I swapped in some OME shocks and they ride like butter.

How easy was the dynamat to apply? I've been thinking about doing some sound deadening in my XJ with dynamat.
Super easy..just peal and stick. I got a box off of Amazon for a great price.. Eastwood makes a clone of their product too which is nice as well. It makes a good difference but does add a lot of weight if you use a bunch.
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:27
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Since I'm only running a 2" lift, I'm going to pass on the disco's for now to get this thing road worthy... 155k miles and here are the original sway bar connectors... Nothing like a previous owner's upkeep.. check out those bushings. sheesh..

Also, I broke down the old engine so I could actually lift the block up in my Jeep and take it too the scrap yard for a few bucks. The bearings where SHOT.
Old November 26th, 2013, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
Yes I might try a TC until I can do an SYE. I loaded down the back and vibes are not the bad really. The clunk got a lot lighter.. I think it is the bind at the rear driveshaft. I'm rocking the original u-joints. 155k!
Ya I just lifted mine 6.5" already had a tcase drop and leafs came with shims, no really bad vibrations at all or clunks @132k
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

Nice work! What a shame that the motor was in such bad shape at only 155,000 miles.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:50
NAXJA Member

2000 XJ - Kaboom!

Quote:
. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one, all done in my garage with basic hand tools, mostly by myself. *pats self on back*
Bbut but but but bimmer jeep said that impossible
Old November 27th, 2013, 14:10
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMCGUIRE View Post
Nice work! What a shame that the motor was in such bad shape at only 155,000 miles.
Cracked head syndrome I believe..it had overheated by previous owner thus cracking the head and taking out the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid369 View Post
Bbut but but but bimmer jeep said that impossible
I disregarded alot of "advice". Some said the header panel HAD to come off, others said I had to remove the hood. People said a lot of things, I just did it my way. Removing the head before pulling the engine gains you access to those pesky housing bolts. Also installing without the head does the same when it comes to bolting the housing up.
Old November 27th, 2013, 14:14
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

I HATE my wheels and tires! I'm on the hunt for a nice setup as soon as I get the SYE worked out. I don't want to do a t-case drop.

Looking to order an AA SYE and driveshaft from Tom Woods... they were helpful on the phone. Wish I find a cheaper route but their service is good.
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I HATE my wheels and tires! I'm on the hunt for a nice setup as soon as I get the SYE worked out. I don't want to do a t-case drop.

Looking to order an AA SYE and driveshaft from Tom Woods... they were helpful on the phone. Wish I find a cheaper route but their service is good.
Good idea doing it right the first time! I've heard great things about Tom Woods. I wish I had the money for a SYE on mine. I lifted mine only 2" and ended up having driveline vibrations. I've had a 1" T-case drop for about a year now, and it seems kind of pointless to lift the Jeep then do a 1" drop on the cross member.