NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 8th, 2019, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

Question 95 power seat stuck - wonít slide

Hi Everyone. I have a Ď95 XJ Country driver side power seat that suddenly will not move forwards or back. Wife canít drive it now and sheís not happy about it cuz she loves the Jeep Thinking itís the seat motor thatís worn and canít crank the spool that moves the seat on its rails. Anyone run into this problem and know how to fix?? Finding a replacement power seat motor is not that easy. Other option is to swap seats but uncertain of what make good replacements. Doesnít even have to be power seats. Can be good ole lever actuated. Iíll explore whether the Pontiac Sunfire seats make good replacement like the do for YJís. Thanks!
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:33
NAXJA Member #920

Re: 95 power seat stuck - wonít slide

does the motor work if nobody's in the seat? If the motor is just getting weak, maybe an occupied seat is too much load. Adjusting while "uninhabited" may buy you time.

What about just transplanting the motor from either your passenger seat or a junkyard passenger seat? That side probably has a lot less "miles" on the motor...
Old April 9th, 2019, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 95 power seat stuck - wonít slide

You are going to have to take the seat out. Front bolts are usually easy. Back bolts are usually rusted in place, wire brush the bolt end off underneath and oil soak. Depending on what position the seat is stuck in those back bolts can be a pain.
Turn the seat upside down on a stable table and see what is jammed in the mechanism. Look closely and use a little logic to figure out where the trouble lies. When mine quit I actually hooked up a couple of wires to a spare battery so I could see/hear where it was binding. I found some junk somebody had stuck under the seat stuck in the works. And something else I can't really recall right now had jumped a track.