• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MORE GROUND CLEARANCE!

thats kinda coo......put up some pics to make this thread work...

and before someone else tell you ...no more ALL CAPS please....hard to read when you type a big post

Need pics, this is on my to-do list.

What is the advantage? Higher CG. Clearance isn't an issue if you put on a skid. How much of your cargo room does it take up? Did you bob the back end and remove the bumper to improve departure angle?

JohnX said:
How much of your cargo room does it take up?

I'd have to guess, just a stab in the dark mind you, about eight inches...

Y'know, give or take...

Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
I'd have to guess, just a stab in the dark mind you, about eight inches...

Y'know, give or take...

Robert
Duh :D

I meant is there any usable room left? Is the tank covered? Is the floor still flat? Lets see some pictures of the work. I have considered making a larger fuel tank that intrudes into the cab about 3 inches, would make it about a 35 gallon tank if done right.

Hey if it brings the friggen tank 8 inches higher and away from rocks that could puncture it then why criticize? Its like asking what the advantage of having a high pinion axle? its only ground clearance. geeeeesh.

and in my opinion clearance becomes even more of an issue with skid installed. Heck if I can get a skid installed and have it at the same height as a stock unprotected tank, I say HELL YEAH!!!!!!

File 05 said:
Hey if it brings the friggen tank 8 inches higher and away from rocks that could puncture it then why criticize? Its like asking what the advantage of having a high pinion axle? its only ground clearance. geeeeesh.

and in my opinion clearance becomes even more of an issue with skid installed. Heck if I can get a skid installed and have it at the same height as a stock unprotected tank, I say HELL YEAH!!!!!!

But your ok with a tank full of fuel in the passenger compartment?

xjjeeper19 said:
But your ok with a tank full of fuel in the passenger compartment?

Maybe I've missed something but I didn't see anything saying he moved the tank up into the passenger compartment.

If thats the case hes not too bright. But I'm waiting to see the pics.
I don't know how you'd move the tank 8 inches up but I've never had mine out so I don't know whats up there. so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, for the moment.

:roflmao: Man, all of you that get all up in arms about people moving their tanks moving the inside the rig crack me up. Ever heard of a fuel cell? So ya have? They do get moved inside passender compartments too, if ya didn't know. NO the 'fumes' are not going to kill them, NO it is really NOT much of any more of a safety hazard than having it hang there to play pattie cake with the rocks. If I had the extra time and money I would go fuel cell, but I will be just doing the good old cutting a hole in the floor and moving the tank up routine. Space? Whats this space you speak of? Most people I know that have done this, weren't so concered about their cargo 'space' :D Usually this gets done when the rig is much less of a grocery getting, and much more of a rock rig. Those who are concerned, usually get a fuel cell...but it still ends up in the cab :gag: :D

AND PLEASE DONT USE ALL CAPS...IT HURTS AFTER READING :D

xjjeeper19 said:
I don't see how you can raise it up 8 inches with out mounting it to the floor in the rear.
Here's one spot I was in recently where a little more clearance to the gas skid would have come in handy.
As for the top of the tank into the passenger compartment?, no Not really.

didntmakeitsm.jpg

Still on my to do list.

skxj said:
You mean like the '67-'72 chevy C-series pickup ?
Look behind the seat of one.

Or like the millions of older VW Beetle (or early Jeep CJ's) that were out there.......although it was in the trunk up front.

im better with cars than i am computers, how do i get pics posted i cant figure it out? this mod only works with the steel tank were its stamped together in the middle. about having the tank inside? yeah half of it is but all the hoses and vents still go out side so there are no fumes unless your tank is leaking around the pump.

Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account. On the upload screen, click browse and find the pictures on your hard drive, then click upload. Below your photos will be three text boxes, click on the URL one and it'll say "Copied." Then come back here, click the Image button (has a mountain and a sun on it) and paste it in. Should show up right away.

And I'd like to see the work as well. As for gas tanks being inside the cab, not really a big deal. I've had fuel cells in race cars and demolition cars. No fumes as long as everything's tight and done properly. As far as abuse, a trail is nothing compared to backing into other cars at 30mph for fifteen minutes :)

skxj said:
You mean like the '67-'72 chevy C-series pickup ?
Look behind the seat of one.

If this was such a good idea then why did every big auto company go away from it? could be a space issue......oh that's right, it has become a safety issue. I can't think of any newer vehicle that has a tank inside of the passenger area. A fuel cell is different thing, it's safer than a regular tank, otherwise you could just use you regular fuel tank to go racing. If the guy has the back of his cherokee cut up and open to the air, then I don't see anything wrong.

freerider15 said:
:roflmao: Man, all of you that get all up in arms about people moving their tanks moving the inside the rig crack me up. Ever heard of a fuel cell? So ya have? They do get moved inside passender compartments too, if ya didn't know. NO the 'fumes' are not going to kill them, NO it is really NOT much of any more of a safety hazard than having it hang there to play pattie cake with the rocks. If I had the extra time and money I would go fuel cell, but I will be just doing the good old cutting a hole in the floor and moving the tank up routine. Space? Whats this space you speak of? Most people I know that have done this, weren't so concered about their cargo 'space' :D Usually this gets done when the rig is much less of a grocery getting, and much more of a rock rig. Those who are concerned, usually get a fuel cell...but it still ends up in the cab :gag: :D

AND PLEASE DONT USE ALL CAPS...IT HURTS AFTER READING :D
Are you the guy who designed the Ford Pinto?...just kidding... LOL

Back